Cypress Springs divers pics 1/22/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahh I new thre had to be an U/W pic w/ me in it somewhere! How much does a kayak go for??

SuPrBuGmAn:
You could defintely kayak to the site, I'm sure it'd be easier than canoeing there...

I've been getting more and more interested in purchasing a kayak, I believe SeaYoda is as well. I'd much rather jump on an Ocean Kayak with my own gear then pay $25(half the cost of a canoe rental) at Vortex before driving out to the boat launch.

My Thoughts exactly. Putting together a nice diving kayak wouldn't be too expensive, and quite portable. Would pay for itself pretty quickly. I was watching some of the locals in Crystal River kayak out to the manatees and hang out and thought it would be perfect for Cypress. I was also thinking it might be kind of fun to use in lanier when I'm polespearing. Would be fun to be able to go out and access some more distant sites and get some dives in. Let me know if you start looking at kayaks and what you eventually go with.

Matt

WaterDawg:
Ahh I new thre had to be an U/W pic w/ me in it somewhere! How much does a kayak go for??

Depends on size and what features you want to go with it.

My buddy has an Ocean Kayak(I believe its a Prowler) single seat, with cushioned neoprene raised seat'rest, carbon fiber paddle, netting around the cargo area(when/if he flips, his SCUBA rig stays secure to the kayak), and he has lines hooked up on either side which work well for stowing spears, dive flags, ect(or the paddle when you are below water) - you can also use the line to clip your BC to while you enter back ontop the boat. He got the entire rig for $800 if I remember correctly.

I think you can pick them up for around $400 brand new, without many features. This is probably the route I'm going to go.

Corigan:
My Thoughts exactly. Putting together a nice diving kayak wouldn't be too expensive, and quite portable. Would pay for itself pretty quickly. I was watching some of the locals in Crystal River kayak out to the manatees and hang out and thought it would be perfect for Cypress. I was also thinking it might be kind of fun to use in lanier when I'm polespearing. Would be fun to be able to go out and access some more distant sites and get some dives in. Let me know if you start looking at kayaks and what you eventually go with.

Matt

I think they'd be ideal for several occasions, not just the springs. My buddy with the Prowler uses his in surf to get to the Whiskey Wreck. Gilligan here in the UW Photog forum is a kayak-diver too :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom