cylinders (tanks)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people computer their “SAC” in PSI/min rather than cubic feet per minute. This works fine if you’re only using one kind of cylinder, but doesn’t translate between cylinders.

Comparing an HP80 against a [fictional?] LP80 would result in a lower PSI/min for the LP80 compared against the HP80. It’s not that you’re consuming less gas, it’s that the LP has more gas per PSI.

Good example as to why you should use cubic feet / minute rather than PSI / minute.

Roak

I've never heard of a difference in SAC rate with high or low pressure tanks. I've used both and never noticed a difference. My only consideration with HP tanks is getting a good fill. I have been to shops that don't give a good fill on HP tanks because they don't have the compressor for high pressure fills. I own only low pressure tanks for that reason and that reason only.

Scott

If you're calculating your SAC in CuFt, then there won't be a change. We're talking the numbers here, not the actual amount of air being used. You're going to use the same amount of air (all other things being equal) regardless if the tank is HP or LP. PSI/CuFt changes from a high pressure tank to a low pressure tank of the same volume. So, if you calculate your SAC in PSI/Min then your numbers will change from a HP tank to a LP tank, but the actual amount of gas used won't change.

Later.

Mike

Thanks to all who answered. answers have cleared up confusion. also informed me as to the capacity between tanks which i did know. thanks again:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom