Cylinder containment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcs9250

Contributor
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyones LDS uses a cylinder containment system as shown in the photo. The one shown is a Bauer. I'm not concerned about brand , just curious if your LDS utilizes one.

Attachments

• CFSII-2M.jpg
    CFSII-2M.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 82
None of the 4 shops in my area use one.

Actually I don't think I've ever seen one in any shop I've been to.

Only shop I've ever seen one in is Aqua Diving Academy in Portland Maine.

My experience has been fire departments only as well. Can't say in any of my travels having ever seen one in a scuba shop.

Remember, the recreational dive industry is "Self" regulated.:wink: Think of it as a slot machine. Every time you fill a bottle, you pull the "handle". You're just sure you'll never "win".:wink:

Craig

Only shop I've seen them in is a shop that lost my business. Why? Their system wouldn't fit true HP 120's, and those were what I needed to be filled. A dive shop that can't fill my bottles, isn't a dive shop, it's a place full of gimmicky, shiny, colourful things.

If a dive shop has some that will hold my bottles, and I don't have to lift them in, great. Kind of hard with doubles, though....

Many fire departments now use HP composit cylinders. An exploding composit cylinder won't have as much energy in the form of flying steel or aluminum which is heavy compared to composit material so these type cabinets may work fairly well. The ideal containment would be an inground water filled pit that would direct the energy straight up. More people get killed or injured by exploding tires during mounting than exploding scuba cylinders.

My local fire department uses a containment system. Too bad, they could have saved me $10,000 on a compressor system if they had been able to fill my doubles.

Why spend all that money on a system when you can fill only AL80s?

Vortex Springs has a couple of these systems. I have not tried my 120s in them but they seem plenty deep for them. I will try it in the next couple of weeks and let you know.

Back
Top Bottom