Cutting the neck seal on drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like the key is to use something to support or "scaffold" the seal for easy cutting, but not to have it stretched while the deed is being done. I'm sure everyone's got a medium-sized tupperware or bowl that's up to the task.

Agreed- there's a fine line between putting it over something that holds it taut vs being so stretched that it's bound to split. I just happened to have a plastic juice pitcher that's pretty narrow and works perfectly. Playtex sippy cups work great for wrist seals, BTW.

I just had steve gamble fit me for a seal, and I can tell you that if it feels comfortable, it's too loose in his opinion. Mine seems too tight, but he seemed to imply that was what you want. Just remember, you can always cut more off, but can never put it back.

Let me tell you... the anxiety I experienced over cutting a neck seal was NOTHING compared to the agonizing the first time I installed a p-valve by myself. There's nothing quite like taking a 3/4" leather punch to a brand new drysuit. :wink: It took a few beers to work up the courage to finally swing the hammer.

ya know... I couldn't do it. I had Superior install it when they put the new neck seal in.

Funny, I'm not afraid of making modifications to gear but punching a big hole in the suit.. well I didn't wanna.

I understand your anxiety over that.

I just had steve gamble fit me for a seal, and I can tell you that if it feels comfortable, it's too loose in his opinion. Mine seems too tight, but he seemed to imply that was what you want. Just remember, you can always cut more off, but can never put it back.

If I were close to Gamble he would be my choice too.

I went to JoAnn's Fabrics and got the Rotary Tool shown above. I also got one of the hard plastic measuring squares. I have a small one (I think 4" by 4") and a larger one. I put the square in the seal hole and can cut on a flat surface with no risk of holding something or sliding across a line.

I actually attacked my seals when I cut the first time. I had a friend that was there and he was shocked I went at it so calmly. He said his took a few breaths to steady himself. With the right tools, it is not too hard, just be steady calm.. stop, think, act.. :)

Got my suit two weeks ago, and faced same dilema. Decided to go fo stretching, rather than cutting, following advices from some other forums and people. Use a small bowl to stretch neck seal for 24 hours - since then, did 5 dives in it. It is comfortable, tight, but comfortable. No leaks at all. I would bang my head against the well if I went for cutting and cut it badly or too much ...

Got my suit two weeks ago, and faced same dilema. Decided to go fo stretching, rather than cutting, following advices from some other forums and people. Use a small bowl to stretch neck seal for 24 hours - since then, did 5 dives in it. It is comfortable, tight, but comfortable. No leaks at all. I would bang my head against the well if I went for cutting and cut it badly or too much ...

Is it a latex seal?

Back
Top Bottom