Cutting Bib Off Hood For Use With Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

standrod

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Has anyone cut the bib off a normally wetsuit hood to be used for a drysuit (can't stuff bib inside drysuit)?

I have drysuit hoods but they are all thick (6 or 7mm).

Sometimes I don't need quite a thick hood and would like a much thinner, and more comfortable hood. I have lots of thinner wetsuit hoods with bibs that I could sacrifice.

Does anyone know a source for a thinner drysuit hood (maybe 3mm or less even).

Thanks,
Marcus

lol...glad you thought of that....

just wandering if anyone had done it...sounds simple

Contact Dive Commercial International in Seattle Washington. They have a website using their name. They specialize on Commercial diving, where the commercial divers go for their drysuit needs.
Use the hoods cutting with knife or sissors, wearing the hood, is optional....Another good source is BubblesBelow.com. Bud the owner has a good line on warm water hoods as well as very cold hoods.

I bought a 3 mil wetsuit hood and wacked off the bib so I could use it with my drysuit. I've only dived it twice but it seems to work just fine. Keeps me warm and it fits much better without all that extra materal hanging around my neck.

standrod:
Has anyone cut the bib off a normally wetsuit hood to be used for a drysuit (can't stuff bib inside drysuit)?

I have drysuit hoods but they are all thick (6 or 7mm).

Sometimes I don't need quite a thick hood and would like a much thinner, and more comfortable hood. I have lots of thinner wetsuit hoods with bibs that I could sacrifice.

Does anyone know a source for a thinner drysuit hood (maybe 3mm or less even).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus,

I know some of the other board members are trying to be helpful, but you can't just cut off the bib of a cold water hood. You must go to your LDS and pay full retail for a DRYSUIT hood that the manufacturer has forgotten to attach the bib to. After all what will you do when you need to dive wet again? Oh yeah you probably won't be diving wet again, just don't let the scuba police catch you. I hear the fine for using a converted hood is worse than the fine for removing the tag on your mattress. I don't care how much you torture me I will never admit to cutting my bib off.

Mitten Diver

I have several thinner wetsuit suit hoods so I guess I will sacrifice one at the alter for a good cause

Back
Top Bottom