Customs in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coke?

I thought that the faucet marked with a "C" will pour Coke :)

I have been to Roatan 5 times (and Utila twice) and never took anything for malaria. Deet is a must. Use the stuff that is about 20%. The weak stuff does not work and 100% is not meant to be put directly on your skin. Someone down there was using a mix of 100% deet diluted with Cactus Juice. It worked very well and I have used it as myself, mixed to about 30% deet. Coco View will give you more than enough to eat. There is no need to go out to food stands. They may organize a trip to a local restaurant one night. Dive a lot. If you do not do at least 20 dives there in a week (really more like 25) , you just are not trying.

Thanks everyone we are really looking forward to this one. The only reason for the food and drinks from here is around the 4th day my stomack always gives in to the bathroom gods no matter where I travel out of the country. So this time I'm going to try to delay it untill I return. Shootting for at least 30 dives and don't have time for those gods.

Hank49:
When I enterd Roatan this year at about 5 in the evening, there was no one there. We just walked through to the man waiting from CCV. And on the way out they just put and entry stamp in our passports and that was that. Totally laid back.
Coke? No need. Coke is everywhere in the world. And, I've lived in third world countries for 18 years, never had more than a hepa A shot and, had no problems except for some gastro intestinal bouts in the Philippines. Just eat only thoroughly cooked food and drink only bottled products...like lots of beer.

Ho-ho. I sneaked into the country once, eager to get on to things, I bypassed cutoms and boarded the bus. They questioned me not having my passport stamped when I left the country, and I would not suggest this. At least try to enter legally.

Yeah, I worry about the idea of liter bottles of Coke in luggage, being dropped, etc. exploding. Don't pack it; buy it. Talk to a waiter when you arrive, give him money, and you'll have Coke out your ears.

Malaria prevention and Hep-A are often skipped by visitors, but they're so easy to accept by most, I think they're a good idea. Hank, reckon you've already had the Hep-A virus? Hope not, as it can be rough; maybe a test would be a good idea?

Lots of beer is funny, but dehydrating as is Coke, coffee, other caffinated drinks. Bottled water lacks minerals, and probably the best approach is 2 quarts of Sport Drink a day.

Most of the information previous here is dead on. Here's some other insights:

Keep your luggage tags seperate and available for Nora after you have pointed out your bags to one of the two CCV bag handlers. After your bags are passed through the cursory x-ray scan (yes, on the inbound) Nora will need them to associate with the bags. No particular reason- just that everyone "has their job" and the miriad of seemingly disconnected people you will see at any Central American airport all have their 'rice bowl'.

They will confiscate most meats and cheeses, once again- this is a political pissing contest between US trade interests and Honduras. You can thank the U.N. anti-gun initiative for providing the x-ray machines that are being misused for this non-related business issue.

You will retain all of your airline tickets. Do what Nora says (and what Dee infers), get your butt onto the a/c bus waiting outside. And, as Dee says, apply DEET (I put it on before exiting the plane).

Contrary to the CDC and previous posts, I will now relate the truth as seen from my experience. I have never seen a mosquito at CCV. The resort is situated on its own private wind swept flat-as-a-board 10 acre key, meaning that there are no uninvited visitors, both in terms of mosquitos as well as 'local goofs'. The South side is bathed in a constant breeze and is well known for being less no-see-um infested than any other part of the island. Add to that CCV's relentless trimming of low lying vegetation and their constant attention to eliminating any source of standing water... there you have it. I have never bothered with the anti-malarial drugs, and the North Americans who live at CCV don't either. When they leave the protection of CCV, the always spray down.

I slather with DEET there just to eliminate the no-see-ums. If I leave CCV, I take a can with me. A visit to West End or the dolphins at AKR- you are strongly advised to DEET up.

Excellent information of CCV, Roatan and more at: http://www.cocoviewresort.com then click on the discussion group. You will see headers that speak about customs, bugs and more.

You will see a distinct difference in how CCV guests are ushered-in versus how other resorts 'do transfers'. You will see this on the exit portion as well. Please remember to tip the baggage handlers , even a $1/bag is enough to make them grin from ear to ear. Roatan is such a bargain, so it really doesn't hurt to tip appropriately for the level of service you will receive,

Have fun, and be sure to check out the CCV website.

I'm heading to Roatan on Saturday and already started my chloroquine. What the heck??? $15 to my HMO to prevent even having to worry about malaria, it's worth it. And we plan to head to the mainland, so it's well worth it.

Chlorquine is what the CDC recommends for Honduras....it's been around for years and pretty tame.

Diver Lori
Please let me know if it caused you any problems. It would only cost us about the same and I haven't dedided to take it or not. Thanks, please give a trip report when you get back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom