Customizable Light - Light For Me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TecDiveGear

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Finally you can have it all cutting down the gear expenses.

Tec Dive Gear offers three types of handheld primary light / back up light manufactured by Light For Me (EU):

Back up TEC - 380 lumen
Back up XML - 800 lumen
Back up 3XPG - 1000 lumen

until two months ago there was only "long light body" available which accommodates 3 "C" cells,
many of you asked for "shorter body version" for right side DIR back up light,
other ones for popular type of rechargeable cell that could be used in these lights so we've answered both,
now you can mix and match to adapt your light even to every single dive with minimum costs and efforts.

How does it work ?

All handheld primary / back up light components are sold separately so for example you can stack:

- long light body for 3 "C" cells or
- short light body with rechargeable Li-Ion battery and charger

plus ANY light head you wish:

- TEC
- XML
- 3XPG

you can have two bodies to one light head or few heads to one body ... other words: your dive, your needs your choice !

Enjoy !

Sebastian J.
TecDiveGear.com

customizable_back_up_light.jpgIMG_4226.jpgIMG_4236.jpgback_up_mini_tecdivegear.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,
Let me answer that not going into the advanced terminology and numbers, lumen drop etc (whoever wants it please write private mssg for it).
So, burn times in meaning of getting at least 50% lumen of fully charged battery will be:

TEC Mini - 5 hours (time until light died totally during cold water test: 12 hours)
3XPG Mini - 3 hours (time until light died totally during cold water test: 7 hours)
XML Mini - 3-4 hours (time until light died totally during cold water test: 8 hours)

as you may notice that lumen drop is pretty much linear (proportional) to the voltage drop.

Please notice that given burn times might be different + / - due to few factors but won't change more than 10%.

Since I wasn't here for a while I would like to use that opportunity to thank our customers for choosing our products.
We have couple new exciting underwater video and photo products coming up with the beginning of the next year, will post it in separate thread.

Best for all !

nice finally

Just had one delivered today :) the regular 3 XPG is really handy for me but this little guy (3 XPG mini) is like half of it ! I love it, found quickly new home in my dive bag.

I have the Tex Backup XML in both mini and long bodies (with a back up narrow coming). Runtime was a problem as the first burn only lasted 40m with the 3kmah 18650 cell.

Doing some reading about, the AW 18650 cells seem to be about the best choice and widely used. Not cheap at 20$ each. Charger is also important, and the Pila chargers have multi stage charging. I have one of those coming as well.

I have the Tex Backup XML in both mini and long bodies (with a back up narrow coming). Runtime was a problem as the first burn only lasted 40m with the 3kmah 18650 cell.

Doing some reading about, the AW 18650 cells seem to be about the best choice and widely used. Not cheap at 20$ each. Charger is also important, and the Pila chargers have multi stage charging. I have one of those coming as well.

Jeff, I don't know if buying new expensive charger and batteries was a good decision at first place (although that might be a better charger in long run).

I have Back Up XML mini and did two bucket tests (I do that annually) and with the included 3000aAh battery (ultra fire, red color) it lasted over six hours before faded out,
then did one 1 hour dive and didn't noticed any loss of power at all. I use also regular charger that was included in set.

I had older battery charger that I have used with another light and it was charging only up to 3.7 - 3.8V (should be around 4.2V) so the battery was never fully charged,
so that might be your problem I think its probably faulty charger.

Simple test, charge it then measure the voltage of battery and you will know for sure or let the TecDiveGear do it,
I'm pretty sure that they will replace it with no problems.

Best,
Shorty

I still didn't try my 3XPG min since I've just got it but I think they are comparable with burn times.

The highest battery capacity of a 18650 are the panasonic 3100mah batteries. These following batteries utilize that battery. I personally use the redilast and trust them considering the abuse(dropping them) taken and burn time.

One thing that is important is whether or not you need a button top battery. Some batteries won't work with certain flashlights.

Callies Kustoms 3100mAh 18650 Panasonic Batteries

RediLast Protected 3100mAH 18650 - $19.75 : Illumination Supply, Quality Flashlights and More!

AW 18650 Protected 3100 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery

LiIon for maximal charge, take a 3 step process as I recall, and the Pila does that, without relying upon the overcharge circuitry in the cell.

I Need to build/get a cell holder, as I have a very expensive battery tester for my remote control helicopters I can do constant current loads with, and test the batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom