Cursed Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scSCUBA

Reaction score
Ok, I've been waiting with great anticipation for this trip. (This will be my first post cert dive) :sappy:

We're going on a Western Caribean cruise with Princess. Problem is, now I've got a head cold :frown2: . No problem(I hope). Trips not till early March. However, if my current cold follows my normal pattern, I'll clear up by the end of the week while moving to my chest. So, How bad is it to dive with chest congestion? I don't think it should be an issue, cause I should have 2 solid weeks to get rid of it. But, I hate cutting it this close. I've already signed up for the dive, but I'm thinking I should cancel and wait and see. What do ya'll think?

scSCUBA:
Ok, I've been waiting with great anticipation for this trip. (This will be my first post cert dive) :sappy:

We're going on a Western Caribean cruise with Princess. Problem is, now I've got a head cold :frown2: . No problem(I hope). Trips not till early March. However, if my current cold follows my normal pattern, I'll clear up by the end of the week while moving to my chest. So, How bad is it to dive with chest congestion? I don't think it should be an issue, cause I should have 2 solid weeks to get rid of it. But, I hate cutting it this close. I've already signed up for the dive, but I'm thinking I should cancel and wait and see. What do ya'll think?

Seems to me that most colds don't take more than a few weeks to totally go away...

But, I wouldn't dive if you aren't feeling well at the time.

I've often heard you should drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest. Maybe a doc can tell us if that's the best course to follow.

It would seem based on the time frame you should be OK by the time of yuo rtrip. I forgot where I read it either DAN news letter or Dive training their was a artical on 12 hour sudifed

For my vacation $$, I'd go to a doctor now. Of course he can't help you with the cold, but he can give you something that will make you start coughing it up. Usually that doesn't happen toward the very end of the illness.

I'd say you're extremely lucky. It's just the way I look at it. You're sick now, so chances are good that you won't be sick then. I've also got a Caribbean trip in March so I'm dousing myself in alcohol every time a touch a public place.

beck

SCSCUBA,

Looks like you've got two choices.....Go or stay home, HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM? You'll see your sign when the time comes to dive. However, if you dive with some degree of head congestion, be very alert for reverse squeezes on ascent, acute vertigo can be pretty nasty, particularly in the upper 33 feet. Have fun on the trip.

Regards,

My sinuses were all full and nasty... I went to Florida... they cleared up... drove home... sinuses all full and nasty...

Might work the same way for you :)

Rachel

Sinuses are 90% clear. But chest still tight. I've got till next Wed. When I'll actually dive in Grand Cayman.

Not that it'll help you with your cold, but it may help someone else. But I suffer from chrinic sinus problems that flare up at really weird intervals. So for about a wek before a planned dive, I take a decongestant every night, usually tylenol sinus. It helps me sleep, and it seems to prevent any drainage during the night that may cause a sinus flare up. So far so good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom