Currently in US, what are the "must go" dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superkingkong:
do u guys know will there be any shuttle from either miami airport or ft. lauderdale to the keys?

As Don already mentioned, the Florida Keys are best seen by car.

There hasn't been train service in the Keys since the 1935 hurricane (the original bridges of the Overseas Highway are actually converted train bridges) and as you found out Greyhound isn't the speediest service in the world, but is the most do-able and affordable if you don't have a driver's license and/or don't feel comfortable driving in a foreign country. Greyhound also has limited stops in the Keys.

Some hotels might provide airport shuttle service, but possibly to Miami Airport only. Another possibility are shared-van services such as Super Shuttle, but it's probably not going to be cheap. You should phone them for a quote.

Another thing you may not be aware of is that on most of the Overseas Highway, addresses are given in Mile Marker and not the usual number and street name that is common in the urbanized US. For example John Pennekamp State Park's address is MM 102.5 Overseas Highway which means it's 102.5 miles north of Key West, where MM 0 is located. The exceptions to this rule are Key West and Marathon. If you need to use a computerized mapping service such as MapQuest or Yahoo, simply take the Mile Marker number and multiply it by 1,000; thus Pennekamp's address becomes 102500 Overseas Highway. The mapping service will come pretty close but not exact.

If you do decide to rent a car, fly into Ft. Lauderdale as the rates for both airfare and car rental tend to be cheaper than Miami, and it's only about a 30 mile drive between the two.

so, now the harder part, what do you guys think, key largo is better? or key west?

I've never dove off of Key West, but keep in mind that unlike Key Largo, the diving off Key West requires a lengthy boat ride.

Because of your limited time, I would say stick with Key Largo as it's only a 30 minute drive from the Homestead/Florida City area (and has more affordable lodging options than in the Keys if you're willing to do a bit of driving) and a bit over an hour from Miami International Airport. OTOH Key West is an additional two hour drive from Key Largo, and can be more with traffic, and MUCH more if there's a bad accident on the Overseas Highway.

Many of the places you mention are actually within John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo, and there is an on-site dive-op. Some say it's not the best diving in Florida, but a pretty good one considering the convenience. You can opt for the "insta-buddy" or rent a DM from the shop. They also rent equipment if you don't have your own, or don't feel like dragging it over there.

If you want to see a lot of fish, a lot of colorful coral, rays and eels, sharks and a variety of dives with a structure dive that will amaze you in two days on a liveaboard with great people and food check out gulf-diving.com it don't get any better. Fly into houston TX and drive about 50 miles south to freeport

superkingkong:
well, i'm planning my trip on the Mar 26th-28th, yeah, could not get whole week off, maybe i could extend until the 29th.

Can't you get the weekend off as well, fly down on the friday night.

Well if not here are some ideas.
Fly on the evening of the 25th. They are called Red Eyes in the USA There are numerous flights on the Sunday that will get you into Miami very early on Monday morning.
The same for going back, fly as late as possible, even better if you can find a flight very early on the 29th.

In the US you have to drive, it's not difficult, a walk in the park compared to KL. Highways go everywhere just stick a large postit in the middle of the steering wheel with keep right on it.

Rent a 3ml shorty when you are there that should be warm enough.

Have a great time, I warned you that the USA is a big place, it takes a long time to get anywhere even by plane.

Try the Oriskany in Pensacola, Florida. Awesone dive summer or winter. Nothing like seeing an Aircraft carreir under the surface. Call MBT Divers o check out their website, www.mbt.com for charter information.
Paul

RoatanMan:
I'm going to base this response on three factors:

1) Your home is Malaysia but are here in Boston for a temporary 6 month stay

2) By mentioning your 1.5 wetsuit, let's assume you like reallywarm water only

3) From Boston... this your best & only potential access to the Caribbean (not from Malaysia)

That said, you would do well to go to the Caribbean while you have the chance of easy flight access. Go South. It's basically the US with different colored money.

You can always dive Hawaii from your home base of Malaysia, but then again, after diving the South Pacific, you might find better, nearer and cheaper and skip our 50th state.

Excellent suggestion. Why go all the way to Hawaii from the east coast when you have great warm water diving just south of you. Go South young man and Enjoy! The caribbean awaits you.

Honestly, it's cold, but I have to say the most spectactular dives I've ever had were at Pt. Lobos, just south of Monterey, California.

I agree, Pt Lobos is spectacular, very colorful, nice topography and you can fly through the beautiful kelp forest (totally different type of diving than tropical diving). When you go back to Malaysia you will really love the diving there (Sipadan, Labuan, Layang2 and more) but will also be glad that you have dived one of California's best.

Based on my research, Ft Lauderdale has lots of dive sites (wreck) not to far from the airport and hotel which will hopefully save time.

I guess I could have listed the correct web site! So much for my memory, glad I have bookmarks! The wrecks off Pensacola are awesome, all kinds for all types. Some with historic value some for pure pleasure. Also divable year round.
Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom