Current Weather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roatan Joe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Windfinder is saying 20-30 knots of wind and 1-2 meter waves for the next week. What's the weather like on the leeward west side? Hopefully a bit better than that! Can someone who is there right now tell me what it's like? I'm in Mexico right now and the conditions are awful.

Thanks and yes, I was planning on being in Bonaire next week to dive, NOT SURF. Haha..

Easterly winds are seasonally sporty right now but there are plenty of accessible dive sites without significant waves or surge along the leeward coast. Seas are probably the calmest close to the main island near town, roughly between 18th Palm and The Cliff. Visibility is reduced to 60' or so at the sites we've been diving since arriving on Saturday, but the diving certainly hasn't been "awful".

Come on over to Bonaire... The pool is open!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 174
Pardon the hi-jack.

wwguy, Did you stay at the Doubletree in ATL on your way down? If so, how was it?

Pardon the hi-jack.

wwguy, Did you stay at the Doubletree in ATL on your way down? If so, how was it?

It was great! We booked with HH points and they gave us an end room on the top floor. Leo the bartender is a very cool cat, and we met a friendly Venezuelan couple at the bar on Friday night. My wife doesn't speak Spanish and her new BFF didn't speak English, so they carried on for a couple of hours with the help of the Google Translate app on my Android phone.

Doubletree was within sight of the HGI we normally frequent, but Doubletree had much more value for the HH points. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Not to rub it in (too much) but we saw a large pod of dolphins (probably a couple dozen) cruise past the BCV villa 3 or 4 times today before lunch. I was enthusiastically relating the story to some divers we encountered at Something Special entry this afternoon and they appeared a little skeptical. Then my wife started jumping up and down as the dolphins swam by again...

We watched them again later for almost 2 hours from the terrace during happy hour. They just swam back and forth between WEB and Habitat, about 100 yards off of the dark/deep water line.

But don't tell anybody... Shhhh....

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2014 at 07:47 PM ----------

We watched them again later for almost 2 hours from the terrace during happy hour. They just swam back and forth between WEB and Habitat, about 100 yards off of the dark/deep water line.

I meant the dolphins... Not the divers. :D

Last edited:
I just emailed Leanne & Tim and received an out of office reply. What have done with them? :D

Roatan Joe and I are in Bonaire right now. There is some wind 25-30, and a little surf entering and exiting, but not too bad. Here's Joe exiting from a dive this afternoon.

Jim

Attachments

• G0110554b.jpg
    G0110554b.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 108
Roatan Joe and I are in Bonaire right now. There is some wind 25-30, and a little surf entering and exiting, but not too bad. Here's Joe exiting from a dive this afternoon.

Jim

Thanks for sharing. Just curious, what dive site is this? It looks like rougher seas and more rugged shore terrain than everywhere I dove today.

Looks rougher than I'd known. Where were you diving?

wwguy and/or jimbeeler

What is the water temperature and viz today? And yes, jimbeeler; what was that divesite in yesterdays pic? T.C., How SHORT are we?:cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom