Current Water Temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would trust these sites before the reading of someone's arbitrary dive computer. Dive computer temperatures are typically spec'ed to +/- 4 deg F.
Ironically, those sites both report the exact temp @vatty reported form his computer.... lol Looks like a good time. See you Saturday!

Ironically, those sites both report the exact temp @vatty reported form his computer.... lol Looks like a good time. See you Saturday!
It is a fortunate coincidence, not irony.
When the temp on a dive computer is spec'ed at +/- 2 deg C or 4 deg F, you really shojuld not expect it to give you the correct temperature. Some companies don't even tell you their temperature spec; Shearwater and Oceanic, for example. (My Teric reads high by 2 deg F.) Suunto says +/- 2 deg C within 20 mins of a temperature change; they say this for their old computers (e.g., Mosquito) and new ones (e.g., Zoop). The MARES Puck says the same +/- 2 dec C (4 def F) but doesn't mention a response time. The Cressi Leonardo says:
1638475050456.png

which presumably means if the computers sees a step function in temperature, it can respond over 35 deg F within 10 minutes....which is interesting but of course says nothing about accuracy.

It is a fortunate coincidence, not irony.
When the temp on a dive computer is spec'ed at +/- 2 deg C or 4 deg F, you really shojuld not expect it to give you the correct temperature. Some companies don't even tell you their temperature spec; Shearwater and Oceanic, for example. (My Teric reads high by 2 deg F.) Suunto says +/- 2 deg C within 20 mins of a temperature change; they say this for their old computers (e.g., Mosquito) and new ones (e.g., Zoop). The MARES Puck says the same +/- 2 dec C (4 def F) but doesn't mention a response time. The Cressi Leonardo says:
View attachment 693619
which presumably means if the computers sees a step function in temperature, it can respond over 35 deg F within 10 minutes....which is interesting but of course says nothing about accuracy.
Nah, I get it. It was ironic that he reported "82" and the link verified that exact temp. My Suunto almost always reads differently than some of my buddies using Shearwater, etc. Not sure what @vatty is using, but it seems to be dead on....at least for now! :)

Here is a link to current water temperatures in Westpunt - Sea water temperature Sabana Westpunt today | Curacao

When we were there in September - October, water temperatures were generally 83 - 86 F depending on dive site, depth and upwelling of cooler water from depth. Last February, water temperatures were 79 - 80 F. We both wear 1mm wetsuits, I added a rash guard for last February dives. Our bottom times are generally an hour, and we spend a fair amount of time between 60 and 80 ft. Generally, neither my wife nor I were cold during our dives, however, on the third dive of the day, I can feel the cooler water temperatures but this can happen on the fourth dive of the day even in 85 degree water. The ye olde fatigue factor. We expect to see the same 79-80 F water temperatures when we return to Curacao, the second two weeks in February 2022.

Temperatures are slowly declining, my computer already reported a few times that the minimum temperature was 27°C. When I look at the temperature graph I think it dropped to 27°C at 10 meters (night dive), and my last two day dives it reported 27°C at 20+ meters I suppose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom