Current Views on Hypoxic bailout/BOV Configurations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most common setup I have seen so far (small sample size but still):
Bottom gas in dil tank, inline shut-off on the BOV. Bail to BOV for sanity breaths, if a real BO then switch to deep bailout OC and continue that way.
On ascent, on all dives, at a depth commensurate with your bottom gas PO2, shut off the feed to prevent any issues with BOV or ADV etc feeding an unbreathable gas into the loop or your mouth if you switch to BOV without thinking about it. When turning it off, switch off board gas to the appropriate one for the rest of the ascent if you're staying on the loop

My dil is offboarded via qc6. I switch my dil to my 50/20 bottle at 70' and carry on normally from there. It gives me breathable BO to the surface and drops my loop HE for deco.

This is also my approach. Why overly complicate things and make a fatal mistake an easy possibility?
I think the beginning and the end of the dive to be the most likely times for there to be a problem.

Having a BOV with all the attendant plumbing but not being able to use it seems counter productive and overly complicated.

Do most MOD3-level CCR divers use a BOV?

After much thought about a BOV I came to the conclusion that it overcomplicates things.

Agreed there's one massive use case for a BOV, the CO2 hit. However, with a CO2 hit even if switched to offboard, the challenges have only just begun

I'd say so Wibs, as I see it for the sake of an extra hose and a qd you gain:

Double redundancy on deep bailout (assuming it's on your deep tin)
Testable bailout functionality at the switch of a lever at any time in the dive eg 6m and bottom of shot
Sanity breaths
Simplest access to off loop gas in an emergency
Half and half if you have any concerns about the loop
Access to gas for the loop if no ADV or MAV or if gas source feeding them is compromised
Easy explainable rescue option for oc or other rb divers, especially if on a gag strap

Probably others but this is a reasonable start point

Back
Top Bottom