Sidemounting bailout with a BM RB, pros/cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of interest what catalysed the change in US cave diving to steels over ali in some circles, is it higher storage volume alone or something else.

our caves are 3-4ata's, needed the extra gas. Can get twice the gas per bottle in cave filled 104's vs AL80's. Ran out of room for extra stages.

Out of interest what catalysed the change in US cave diving to steels over ali in some circles, is it higher storage volume alone or something else.
Al80s are the least efficient way to carry gas in terms of tank units per L (or cf) carried. About the only thing going for them at all is their generally positive characteristics as stages. As main SM tanks they are pretty inefficient. Even steel 45s or 50s carry more gas for the space they take up. 85s are almost 20% more gas in the same space as an AL80. 108s/130s even more gas per unit space on your body despite the increase in diameter

Yeah there is a lot to be said for steel, i am thinking about adding 2xsteel 7's to my tank farm for the mines because they are physically easier to move about, due to their smaller dimensions.

Also splitting my 12l twins to re-purpose as SM OC cylinders or SM bailout, because i just never seem to use it other than as a bank.

Been SM 2 bailouts for a few dives now, just wondered how people mount thev2nd stage on the cyl.

I seem to purge the right hand cyl too easily.

Currently the reg is still about a third down the tin, in line with din orifice as per a regular DIR stage and valved are up so facing into body when cyl torques, I am wondering if higher would be preferable or even valve down, reg under the cyl, albeit that it is then more exposed to the risk of damage or debris accumulation.

@JonG1 what is your full configuration? MOst of us that are sidemounting bailouts with a normal backmounted CCR will have the hoses rigged similar to OC sidemount. i.e. left bottle is on a suicide strap, and the right bottle is hog looped. To donate long hose, you switch off the loop to the short hose, donate the long hose, and then come back on the loop. That procedure is taken from the RB-80 IIRC, and while a bit clunky, doesn't take any more time than pulling it out of a fully stowed bottle

Been SM 2 bailouts for a few dives now, just wondered how people mount thev2nd stage on the cyl.

I seem to purge the right hand cyl too easily.

Currently the reg is still about a third down the tin, in line with din orifice as per a regular DIR stage and valved are up so facing into body when cyl torques, I am wondering if higher would be preferable or even valve down, reg under the cyl, albeit that it is then more exposed to the risk of damage or debris accumulation.

my bailouts we regs up to armpits or in facing my armpit. Long hose is popped around neck. I tried long hose bungled to tank but it’s a pain to actually know where your reg is at all times. Go through a tight area and you’re reg could get pushed to a position you’re not expecting. It may take a second to get off the loop and pull the long hose but it’s a lot faster than searching for a lost reg bungeed to the tank. Basically what tbone said

I have a BOV on the loop and this runs to the left cyl via a QD. Conventional 2nd stage is on the cyl direct to the 1st stage not via QD.

Right cyl has long hose or 1m hose depending on whether solo or team and 2nd stage is direct to 1st stage and stowed on the cyl.

In board is dil and inflate only, suit is via dedicated 1.5l.

My BOV is also on a gag strap so have avoided hog looping the long hose.

So I see this working for OHE where both tins would be same gas, and long hose would run from right side bottle?

In OW though when 1 is deep bailout and other deco gas how do you configure then, presumably swap long hose to deep bailout?

So I see this working for OHE where both tins would be same gas, and long hose would run from right side bottle?

In OW though when 1 is deep bailout and other deco gas how do you configure then, presumably swap long hose to deep bailout?

Not a configuration I would really dive, but I'd lean towards right rich, left lean in that case. Left side would have the donate regulator and right would stay stowed as a bailout. The gag strap removes the ability to share like we would in an OHE though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom