Sidemounting bailout with a BM RB, pros/cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How critical do you think it is to have the 2nd stage close by for personal use to back up the BOV out of interest?

Yeah, I always used to necklace a 2nd stage and have been thinking about going back to it especially as access in SM is more restricted.

So I see this working for OHE where both tins would be same gas, and long hose would run from right side bottle?

In OW though when 1 is deep bailout and other deco gas how do you configure then, presumably swap long hose to deep bailout?
In OW I only have a long hose on my deep (left gas). BOV is on my left gas
Right cylinder has a standard 40" hose with stowed reg.

If I have to help someone else, I am assuming they have working deco gas once we get up off the bottom. We could share mine but having a CCR fail then having no deco gas as well seems like a double failure. Mixed teams is another issue though

What's your take on rapid deployment of a stowed reg in the event of a caustic screwing the BOV rjack, something u practice or easier due to a gag which could compromise a switch to a necklaced reg.

I can pull the gag down and still get a necklaced reg in, cos was practicing it last night.

What's your take on rapid deployment of a stowed reg in the event of a caustic screwing the BOV rjack, something u practice or easier due to a gag which could compromise a switch to a necklaced reg.

I can pull the gag down and still get a necklaced reg in, cos was practicing it last night.
Probably not going to be fast.
I don't really worry about the risks of caustic on my Meg (which is the unit where I use a BOV and gag strap). The inhale counterlung is several liters of reservoir before any liquid could make it to my mouth.

On my kiss I use a necklaced 2nd and no BOV or gag strap. Its also orders of magnitude more likely to have a caustic IMO

Thanks rjack. Thinking ahead, some way ahead after seeing video of my current SM attempts so far, if you add a stage can regular DIR rigging be used effectively or is it better to set up with the bungeed top and bottom boltsnaps?

Thanks rjack. Thinking ahead, some way ahead after seeing video of my current SM attempts so far, if you add a stage can regular DIR rigging be used effectively or is it better to set up with the bungeed top and bottom boltsnaps?
Are you scootering or no? I use standard DIR rigging and can clip a stage in normal spot. Bear in mind you’ll have to elbow your primary SM bottles out of the way to get the bottom clipped in tightly. Really though I leash clip anything after the initial two bottles.

No scooter grantcobin, hard enough getting in with all the other crap cos our OHE are mines with tough access. Once I am happy with SM set up i'll try a standard stage rig and see how it goes.

For the SM bottles I use a buttplate under my backplate, cam band on the bottom of the bottle, a backup butterfly clip on the neck, plus the neck bungie. I can and have SMed al80s, lp85s, lp95s, hp130s this way (steels mostly for caves)

If I want to add a stage (3rd bottle) I use the standard DIR rigging but snug up the bottom clip so its right next to the tank/hose. I underclip these on the left hand side underneath the left SM bottle. The 4th bottle (very rare) gets nose clipped to the rear rail on my buttplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom