Current Status of Fill Station Owned/Operated by Stathis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have any other dangerous suggestions? I wear two computers because I have two, which started a decade ago when my diving was more aggressive. Same brand, same settings, so they should read about the same. If not, why not? It seemed like a good safety measure. My original plan was to put the wrist computer on any assigned buddies who didn't have one so I could watch it on them, but I try to avoid assigned buddies.

It should be obvious that we are just being silly. Gary knows you shouldn't start fresh with a new computer if you lock out your first one - you simply take out the batteries in the first one for a few minutes. :rofl3:

I'm trying to really figure out what the best one is - I really like sending the maxed out computer up on a DSMB to continue the dive but if I don't carry extra weight, there's just no way I could keep that buoy below the surface..... It'd be much better if it'd continue the dive, just shallower....

The drop down best one is keep the spare computer on the boat, that way you're never locked out and always got a fresh one.......

Or just use your buddy's computer. If you lost your buddy (aka you're a photographer), simply poll the other divers on the boat and plug in the average of max depths and dive times in the planner to figure out if you can have a few beers after the dives or should proceed straight to the chamber.

I'm trying to really figure out what the best one is - I really like sending the maxed out computer up on a DSMB to continue the dive but if I don't carry extra weight, there's just no way I could keep that buoy below the surface..... It'd be much better if it'd continue the dive, just shallower....

The drop down best one is keep the spare computer on the boat, that way you're never locked out and always got a fresh one.......
Somebody else finally got it.
The main reason to having 2 dive computers is so you always have a fresh computer with no tissue loading for the next dive:yeahbaby:

Michael

Somebody else finally got it.
The main reason to having 2 dive computers is so you always have a fresh computer with no tissue loading for the next dive:yeahbaby:

Michael
Or you could tie off your SMB spool at 15', attach your computer to it, and ascend to the boat for a couple of beers while your computer finishes your deco stop.

On a Cathedral dive we both put our Oceanic computers into deco, but that cleared easily with our slow ascent and safety stop - no lockout. I suggested a little debriefing and sure enough he never noticed. I asked if he heard the beeping "Yeah, what was that about?"

If Chief sets one computer to Air, leaves the other on 36% and dives it to limits - even tho the latter is excessively conservative to penalized divers needlessly, he may lock his Air computer if he just follows the prompts for the 36% computer

First, HOLY COW, you dive an lax old Oceanic? No wonder you think air is ok. You CLEARLY should be diving a Suunto. I cant believe you have Sat radio beacon thingy and dive an Oceanic.

Second, NO. My wrist computer is always set to what I am diving. I guess if I watched O2 sat on the 36 I could set it to air, but no. The second computer is set to 36 because I never remember how to change it. Darn scubapro computer. Like two buttons and imagine a wheel, etc etc. I just never look the instruction up before going diving.

There is no good reason to fake out your computer by setting it to air while you are diving nitrox. You should accurately track your oxygen exposure and dive your computer conservatively, if that's what you think you should do.

Exactly. Or a conservative computer, ie NOT an Oceanic....

How else will you know you're past air NDL limit and finally getting your money's worth?

When the air computer hits 0 just attach it to your smb and slowly shoot it to the surface no faster than your smallest bubbles. This works better if it's not a console computer.

Well back on the air 100s I was known to dive with my arm pointing up. Figured keeping the computer 1-1.5 feet higher had to buy me a little BT.

You sound serious. We left serious behind awhile ago.

Really?

Assuming what you say is true (I haven't checked), if you drank enough alcohol for it to make a significant difference in the solubility of nitrogen in your bloodstream, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to worry about DCS or anything else.

I was depending on you to prove this with science and all. Thanks for the let down. I was seeing a whole new shots before dives for extra protection. Like a nice add on on the boat.

Do you have any other dangerous suggestions? I wear two computers because I have two, which started a decade ago when my diving was more aggressive. Same brand, same settings, so they should read about the same. If not, why not? It seemed like a good safety measure. My original plan was to put the wrist computer on any assigned buddies who didn't have one so I could watch it on them, but I try to avoid assigned buddies.

Two sketchy liberal Oceanics....

Get the LP95's, they will get filled to 3000 too.

Oh I like the way you think. That only like 3% above the overfill margin. Just keep it outta the sun and all.

Reactions: yle
Or just use your buddy's computer. If you lost your buddy (aka you're a photographer), simply poll the other divers on the boat and plug in the average of max depths and dive times in the planner to figure out if you can have a few beers after the dives or should proceed straight to the chamber.

Whoa. I was told there was beer IN the chamber?

...Exactly. Or a conservative computer, ie NOT an Oceanic....

Oceanic computers have 4 levels of conservatism from quite liberal to very conservative, DSAT, PZ+, DSAT with conservatism, PZ+ with conservatism. Even the old Oceanics have the two DSAT settings. Many people don't know very much about their dive computer(s), that's a large part of the problem.

Oceanic computers have 4 levels of conservatism from quite liberal to very conservative, DSAT, PZ+, DSAT with conservatism, PZ+ with conservatism. Even the old Oceanics have the two DSAT settings. Many people don't know very much about their dive computer(s), that's a large part of the problem.

Ok, I was told this on a dive boat, so it has to be true: "Running out of BT, get an Oceanic."

And then there is a this 17 year old thread: Oceanic: Liberal or Conservative??

I love my Mares Nemo Wide.... No stupid green, yellow, red graphy thing like it thinks I can't read numbers..... Just Saying.......

Back
Top Bottom