Current conditions- Malibu Jan 19, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest you talk to the lifeguard or other divers at the site. Melvin and I tried to dive Dume on our way to an Anacapa boat dive this past summer. We asked the lifeguard and he gave us some good info, which aborted our dive! I'd probably bring an SMB(a big one) and a mirror/reflective device with you just in case :)

The only person who enjoyed this weeks conditions is Laird Hamilton. BIG WAVES.

jpurkiss:
So how do you know when the currents are going to change or get stronger?
Well, it is the ocean, so the answer is you don't. But you can usally figure the curent is running from North West to South East or away from your entry point. Some days it is mild, others it is ripping. Check with the life guards.
jpurkiss:
Is diving from Zuma smarter or is diving from the east side of Pt Dume?...
I suppose now would be a good time to mention that at Point Dume to get to the East Side you have to climb the stairs and go over the hill. Note the BM203 means bench mark 203 feet elevation!
http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepa...&searchscope=dom&CFID=2645167&CFTOKEN=2697420

That is another reason this is an advance dive site. The current is normally going away from the entry pont and the only bail out beach is on the east side and requires you to climb up the stairs, lots and lots of stairs to go over the point to get back to the entry. Did I forget to mention that strenous exercise following a dive is not recommended as it is a DCS risk?

The normal Point Dume entry is from the end of the parking lot closest to the point on the west side. That is one big hill.

Check Sandeaters Dive Site descriptions for more information. http://www.sandeaters.org/sites/pd.htm

Back
Top Bottom