Current conditions- Malibu Jan 19, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always call 310-457-9701 before diving malibu. They give the surf report at Malibu and zuma beaches, and an estimation of water visibility.

Point dume is usually much clearer than anywhere else, but it is an advanced dive.

I just called, and vis was reported as poor. Surf is 1-4 feet. I try to do my dives when the surf 2ft or less.

Scott

Why do you say Pt. Dume is an advanced dive?

My very first time diving was at Pt Dume. I didn't have any problems.

Are you talking about the pinnacles? Are the currents really bad there?

You raise a good point. What is it exactly that qualifies as dive site as an advance dive? What do we mean by that? (What’s that? Do I hear a lot of discussion coming up?)

I define an advance dive as having one or more of the following (your definition may vary):
1. Strong Currents (out near pinnacles).
2. A dive site requiring above average physical conditioning. This could be a very long swim, or difficult access requiring a long walk or climb over rugged terrain such as Flat Rock in Palos Verde.
3. Depth over 60 feet.
4. Conditions (terms of use or otherwise) requiring a live boat operation.
5. Larger surf (say 4 foot and above).

The presence of one or more of the above elements in my mind would be an advance dive.

Point Dume is used for training, true. But I believe the training dives are just off the beach in the shallower water (but I don't know for sure).

The typical Point Dume Dive is usually either to the pinnacles or the submarine canyon.

Pinnacles Dive:
1. Strong Currents are usually present here. Check with the life guards, recsues are not uncommon here.
2. Long Swim of 548 yards (one way) usually against the current on the way back.
3. Potential for larger surf to come up during the dive due to a change in conditions and the deep water canyon.
That makes this an advance dive in my mind.

The Submarine Canyon
1. Depth over 60 feet. This canyon is very close to shore and you can hit 100 feet not too far out. Within 500 yards of shore the canyon exceed recreational depths. http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/dds/dds-55/pacmaps/la_shade.htm The canyon hits over 800+ feet not that far off shore (but more than you would want to swim I think).
2. Current could come into play if you ventured too far out toward the point.
That would qualify the canyon as an advance dive, but not as firmly in that category as the pinnacles.

Conditions play an extremely important role in making an advanced dive. I've been very fortunate in that every dive I've made at Monastery Beach has been in flat, calm conditions with no surge nor current. That is definately the exception to the rule in Carmel Bay. Most Central Coast divers I've known have their own horror stories about Monster Berries.
On the other hand, I had my butt kicked at Veteran's Park(Redondo Beach) during a high set of waves, and that is one of the easiest beaches in California to dive.

jpurkiss:
Why do you say Pt. Dume is an advanced dive?

My very first time diving was at Pt Dume. I didn't have any problems.

Are you talking about the pinnacles? Are the currents really bad there?

Yes, when I said point dume, I mean the point dume pinnacles. Pasley gave a pretty good summary.

I called it an advanced dive because of the variable currents (sometimes strong) , the direction of the currents (usually away from the entry point), and the long distance to the pinnacles.

Point Dume is ususally clearer when it has not been raining. Zuma creek has been running hard and that follows the canyon parallel to the beach all the way out to the pinnacles (the long shore current running SSE).

I was down at Zuma Beach today -- good for surfing not for diving.

Jerry

So how do you know when the currents are going to change or get stronger?

What are good times to avoid? High tide? Low tide? When there is a large change in tides, a small change?

Is diving from Zuma smarter or is diving from the east side of Pt Dume?

Thanks for all of the help

Josh

Thanks Pasley, for all the links. I especialy liked the satellite photo of So.Cal. you can really see it will be quite some time before we will have some good visability again. The Santa Ana river is just dumping tons of muddy water right into the ocean.

jpurkiss:
So how do you know when the currents are going to change or get stronger?

What are good times to avoid? High tide? Low tide? When there is a large change in tides, a small change?

Is diving from Zuma smarter or is diving from the east side of Pt Dume?

Thanks for all of the help

Josh

I would highly recommend reading dale scheckler's guide to so cal beach diving to get more info on diving point dume. Access is from westward beach near the cliffs. At low, low tides you can walk past the cliff and enter from the small cove.

I haven't figured out how to predict the currents yet. a lifeguard told me I could try checking the surge / wind at the anacapa buoy, I haven't tried it yet.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom