curiosity about record depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deal Me In

Registered
Reaction score
After reading the recent articles about the record breaking dive to 1032 feet I started wondering about the limits of descent. Assuming that science will always be able to make equipment that functions in any environment what is the most pressure that a human body can withstand. I don't mean to be morbid but since someone went to 1032 we all know that someone will try and break that record.

Running the numbers through my handy dandy super calculator I find that the pressure at 1032fsw is 474.81psi. What is the crush depth of a human being? At what point can we simply not go deeper?

Thanks for your time.

Deal Me In:
After reading the recent articles about the record breaking dive to 1032 feet I started wondering about the limits of descent. Assuming that science will always be able to make equipment that functions in any environment what is the most pressure that a human body can withstand. I don't mean to be morbid but since someone went to 1032 we all know that someone will try and break that record.

Running the numbers through my handy dandy super calculator I find that the pressure at 1032fsw is 474.81psi. What is the crush depth of a human being? At what point can we simply not go deeper?

Thanks for your time.

The body is mostly H2O so it can go a long long way.

The record here is with scuba isn't it. Surface supplied will be much greater. One just has to get the gas mix right that will sustain life.

But "Watch those fillings".

Gary D.

According to google search "Francisco "Pipin" Ferreras broke his own world record for "no-limits" free diving today, descending 170m (557') into Los Cabos Bay in Mexico on just one breath of air."

I think this is with weights to go down and air bladder to ascend - just 2 minutes 40 seconds.

More googling reveals: "Mark Ellyatt, a British technical diving instructor, set a new world record for the deepest scuba dive when he descended to a depth of 313 meters (1,026.9 ft) off the island of Phuket in Thailand, beating the previous record by about 5 meters (16.4 ft). No independent verification of the record was immediately available.

"According to news reports, it took Ellyatt 12 minutes to reach the record-breaking dept, but six hours and 40 minutes to decompress and return safely to the surface. The Briton took six tanks down with him and had another 24 brought down by support divers. This dive took 10 years of preparation. Apparently his motive was to improve safety standards, not necessarily to set a world record."

Hmmmm.... yeah, right.
=Terry

Deal Me In:

I hope to never find out. The current limits have less to do with how much pressure the human body can withstand before it crushes than with coping with the gas saturation issues and HPNS-type stuff. Looooooong deco times, too.

what is hpns?

this ones for the commercial and NAVY divers, Ive heard that one of the administators for the Divers Institute of Technology dove to somthing like 1800 feet, Im looking for clarification of wether that was a simulated dive in a chamber for the NAVY or an actual dive, Ive heard that it is supposed to be the all time deepest any human has been at. If anyone knows for sure I would appreciate a response.

Deal Me In:
<snip> At what point can we simply not go deeper?

On OC scuba it's just a matter of gas supply. The practical limits have already been passed. Nothing about the 300 metre dives is practical. When you need 30+ bottles and many hours of deco to make a silly little bounce dive with a 1 or 2 minute bottom time then you've already passed any practical limit of scuba.

At this point (in my opinion) it's just about whose proverbial sex-organ swings the lowest. Nothing more can be gained by these dives if you ask me.

R..

jumbo:
this ones for the commercial and NAVY divers, Ive heard that one of the administators for the Divers Institute of Technology dove to somthing like 1800 feet, Im looking for clarification of wether that was a simulated dive in a chamber for the NAVY or an actual dive, Ive heard that it is supposed to be the all time deepest any human has been at. If anyone knows for sure I would appreciate a response.

I heard it was a hard hat dive. In any case it was surface supported. I think the diver was a French man (frankly--given their history of daring acts of Darwin defying bravery--it would probably take a French man to say "WHOOOO MAMMA! NOW THAT'S A LONG HOSE! STuuRAP ME IN!") and IIRC I read that it was an open water dive.

R..

terrydarc:
According to google search "Francisco "Pipin" Ferreras broke his own world record for "no-limits" free diving today, descending 170m (557') into Los Cabos Bay in Mexico on just one breath of air."

I think this is with weights to go down and air bladder to ascend - just 2 minutes 40 seconds.

More googling reveals: "Mark Ellyatt, a British technical diving instructor, set a new world record for the deepest scuba dive when he descended to a depth of 313 meters (1,026.9 ft) off the island of Phuket in Thailand, beating the previous record by about 5 meters (16.4 ft). No independent verification of the record was immediately available.

"According to news reports, it took Ellyatt 12 minutes to reach the record-breaking dept, but six hours and 40 minutes to decompress and return safely to the surface. The Briton took six tanks down with him and had another 24 brought down by support divers. This dive took 10 years of preparation. Apparently his motive was to improve safety standards, not necessarily to set a world record."

Hmmmm.... yeah, right.
=Terry
All credit to the guy and as i have posted several times before, for those people who love to mock OMS products as being unsuitable, isnt that a BWOD he is wearing????
By the way i dont use any OMS it just makes me laugh every time someone puts the BWOD down as being unsuitable and here it is on the record holding dive

http://www.scubacat.com/english/news.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom