Curaco vs Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TomG

Reaction score
My family (4) are planning a week long trip in August to either Bonaire or Curacao. I have looked at web sites, talked to other divers and have mostly received positive input. Two problems do come up a few times with Bonaire. The first being the "reliability" of Air Jamaica and the sometimes problems with vehicles vandalized/stolen at the shore dive sites.
Specifically I am looking at Habitat in Curacao and Buddys in Bonaire.
Thanks in advance.

I personally liked the Lions Dive much better than Habitat Curacao and as for which Island its hard to choose because they are both great.

I would suggest doing both

Julie

TomG:
My family (4) are planning a week long trip in August to either Bonaire or Curacao. I have looked at web sites, talked to other divers and have mostly received positive input. Two problems do come up a few times with Bonaire. The first being the "reliability" of Air Jamaica and the sometimes problems with vehicles vandalized/stolen at the shore dive sites.
Thanks in advance.

I have flown Air Jamica all over the Carribean and found them to be most reliable. As a matter of fact, I think most of the US airlines could take a lesson from AJ in courtesy and the professional manner in which AJ's employees treat their passangers. AJ is a good airline. I haven't dived Curacao, but the diving in Bonaire is always great. I have many friends who have stayed at Buddy Dive and have enjoyed their stay there. I don't think you'd go wrong with Buddy's. You won't have a problem with vandalism if you leave nothing in your rental. My SOP is to leave the windows down and at least one door open. We haven't lost anything or been "vandalized" yet. Hope you have a nice trip. :palmtree: Bob

Did anyone ever think that the reason you hear about theft on Bonaire is that almost everywhere else you boat dive .... thus no car left by itself in a remote area.

Try leaving your car in a remote area in Miami while diving

Welcome to the board Tom.

AJ is as reliable as any other airline. I have traveled with them several times and have had very little problems. We had a mechanical problem while leaving Bonaire a couple of years ago which made us miss our connecting flight. They put us up in Mo Bay for the night and helped with arranging our other connecting flights. This can happen with any airline. I have heard horror stories about AA as well. Air travel is always an adventure, even within the states.

Choosing between Bonaire and Curacao is a matter of personal choice. Bonaire is a lot more laid back. The car breakin's get blown way out of proportion. Yes it does happen at times, kids mostly. I have not heard of any being taken, just stuff that was left in the vehicle. If you are worried about crime, it's a lot higher in Curacao....or just about any place else for that matter. The prevention is simple, don't leave anything of value in the vehicle, leave the windows down and the vehicle unlocked. In 5 trips I have not had any problems, trips 6 and 7 are planned for this year.

If you have not already done so, come over to the Bonaire Board and do some word searches. www.bonairetalk.com

DeputyDan:
Did anyone ever think that the reason you hear about theft on Bonaire is that almost everywhere else you boat dive .... thus no car left by itself in a remote area.

Try leaving your car in a remote area in Miami while diving

Try any area in Miami :icosm14: :palmtree: Bob

TomG:
Thanks in advance.

Tom,
I've been to both and liked them both.

Here's a link to a discussion we had a couple weeks ago, hope it helps. I personally would pick the Plaza in Bonaire as I 've stayed there three times.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t45808.html

I agree with TedJ. The Plaza in Bonaire is wonderful! The restaurants had a great selection of lunches and dinners (wonderful seafood, of course!), and the staff is very friendly and accomodating! The shore dives are easy and beautiful. I did my first night dives and deep dives there. Both were lots of fun and the amount of critters I saw was outstanding. The coral was great as well, but I am a fish person. Swam through a baitball looking for a whale shark, but missed out! Lots of Tarpon, a baraccuda, and my all time favorite--seahorses!!
I flew American, so I can't help with the airline question, and we did all our shore diving from the resort as it was so convenient.
Good luck and enjoy your diving!
Jean-o

The Plaza Resort is where I will always stay too. Going back in September.

Like Julie said, plan to go to both..but go to Bonaire first! :wink:

gotta add to everyone elses comments-
1) crime on Bonaire really is not that much of a problem- don't let it put you off
2) Air Jam is very good- I have flown several times and had 'no worries'. ( and the champagne is nice)
3) Buddy dive is awesome- IMHO far better than the Plaza as it is less fancy-pants and more aobut diving.

As Herman says- it is a matter of choice- whichever island you choose, you'll love the diving, it just depends on what else you want to do. Definately check out Bonaire talkers- great bunch of people- I was 'spotted' on my orientation by fellow boarders-even without a photo!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom