Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronrosa:
In my experience with night dives in the Caribbean and Hawaii, later is better. During the transition hours I never seem to see much.

Last night we went in at sunset and had plenty to see. More than a dozen lobster, 4 huge crabs, puffers and porcupines, squid, one really good sized ray, ganards, eels... No octupus last night but have seen plenty in previous night dives. 75fsw/63min. Haven't dl'd my photos yet, but a couple looked good on the display.
Khatley, give a shout and we'll hook up if you'd like to get in some night diving.

scubatexastony:
Last night we went in at sunset and had plenty to see. More than a dozen lobster, 4 huge crabs, puffers and porcupines, squid, one really good sized ray, ganards, eels... No octupus last night but have seen plenty in previous night dives. 75fsw/63min. Haven't dl'd my photos yet, but a couple looked good on the display.
Khatley, give a shout and we'll hook up if you'd like to get in some night diving.

I guess it's not an exact science. :huh: I am still a relative newbie with under 200 dives, around 20 at night.

I really like night dives. It's cool to see all the marine life out on the prowl, plus I usually get great video at night too. :D

I never have good luck during the transition time either, seem to do better later. I always hear it's supposed to be a neat time with all this stuff going on, but that's never what I experience.

hit the beaches on the southwest side of the island...playa knipp, etc. they're very accessible by car and offer some great snorkeling. we stayed at breezes...i hope you're not staying there :(

sodaking663rd:
hit the beaches on the southwest side of the island...playa knipp, etc. they're very accessible by car and offer some great snorkeling. we stayed at breezes...i hope you're not staying there :(

What was wrong at Breezes ? I personally don't like all inclusives, but many of my group trips with non divers end up at these types of resorts, so it's on the consideration list.

ronrosa:
In my experience with night dives in the Caribbean and Hawaii, later is better. During the transition hours I never seem to see much.
Later is better for sure, although the "transition" is interresting to watch. My first night dive was a two tanker with the first just before last light, and the 2nd after SI well after full dark. It was a great introduction to night diving, as my Entrance was in full light, and my second tank later on the same reaf showed off a whole new world in the very same area. That experience hooked me on night diving. We are visiting Curacao and Sunset this April for our first time; anyone have "must see" , "best to avoid" suggestions, especially night dives?

I liked Curacao and the best part is there are so many dive centers you don;t have to plan ahead. look at www.cdoa.org, all the shops are listed. Mind you, check out the prices some are totally based on American's instead of the locals and are much more expensive.
You can just go and check them out once you're at the island cuz you can dive with every shop at a different location, or go on your own (easy)

Also check out tu tu tango for dinner right behind the movies.

Happy diving.

hey all!
the wife and i just came back from curacao...stayed at the marriott....dove with the house dive op for 3 days......then we did shore dives on our own....

hotel: nice, clean, good service....although "island time" is something i need to get used to.....coming from LA and all......rush rush rush =)

caribbean sea sports: dive op.....nice, friendly staff......house reef was not bad....

dive bus: mark is awesome. great guy....fun diving.......

highlights: porto marie, and playa kalki...

food: liked the hotel food...quite good......portofino was quite yummy too! tu tu tango was great, tapas style......also loved the local thai restaurant (on the way to downtown).

pics: got some ok pics.......needed more strobes!

all in all.....a great time.......enjoy!

-dan

Thanks for the report, Dan. I'm going there Friday, staying at the Hilton next door to the Marriott, and I'm doing a few dives with the Dive Bus. Did you do their Wednesday night dive?

Back
Top Bottom