Trip Report Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome awesome awesome

Thanks for the incredibly detailed and thorough report.

Glad you had a good time, and that you got to share it with your family.

Once again, you set the gold standard for trip reports @drrich2
I really appreciate the time and effort you put into it.! I am headed down to Bonaire with friends in August. We are staying together for 1 week and I am planning to stay solo for the 2nd week. I have been debating on whether to stay put in Bonaire for week 2 or hop over to Curacao for week 2 in order to do something new and different. Your trip report has been helpful as I way out my options and the pros and cons.

I have been debating on whether to stay put in Bonaire for week 2 or hop over to Curacao for week 2 in order to do something new and different.

Similar issue for me; I've been wanting another Bonaire trip badly; 8 times but last was in 2014. The freedom of solo shore diving calls strongly. It'd be nice to check out a new place - like the western portion of Curacao. For me, the struggle looks something like this:

1.) I already know the Bonaire layout; even in the city of Kralendijk it's not that hard to drive around (which is saying something, since I can't read the road signs worth a flip), outside of there the main road hugs the coastline, and dive sites are laid out like their on the shelf at the super market. Where to get groceries, all that, it's a known thing. The overwhelming majority of mainstream dive sites are rustic - pull the truck in, mark, gear up on the tail gate, leave door unlocked and windows down, walk in, dive, exit, down the road for the 2nd dive, eat, get 2 new tanks at resort, head out...

2.) Curacao's shore dive scene sounds different from what I read. Another poster once told me (years ago) the rental truck loaded with tanks & gear we're used to from Bonaire isn't a common 'thing' in Curacao. Some sites have businesses that offer amenities, but it may be expected to pay a usage fee, or rent tanks there (which I suspect means show cert. card & sign a waiver), some sites don't have all that...

It sounds like planning a shore diving trip there would be more drama, but a new area instead of a rehash.

I keep hoping for a list of shore diving sites that includes whether a site is 'rustic' (Bonaire style; bring your own tanks, costs nothing, and there's nothing there), semi-rustic (maybe a food truck or shop nearby, ignore it if you wish) or 'civilized' (amenities but usage fee, and maybe rent tanks there).

Regardless whether you want rustic freedom or a civilized site with a security guard watching your vehicle, concessions afterward and a lounge chair to sit drinking something for your surface interval...how about a listing of which sites are which?

More options than Bonaire, but more complicated.

Richard.

Similar issue for me; I've been wanting another Bonaire trip badly; 8 times but last was in 2014. The freedom of solo shore diving calls strongly. It'd be nice to check out a new place - like the western portion of Curacao. For me, the struggle looks something like this:

1.) I already know the Bonaire layout; even in the city of Kralendijk it's not that hard to drive around (which is saying something, since I can't read the road signs worth a flip), outside of there the main road hugs the coastline, and dive sites are laid out like their on the shelf at the super market. Where to get groceries, all that, it's a known thing. The overwhelming majority of mainstream dive sites are rustic - pull the truck in, mark, gear up on the tail gate, leave door unlocked and windows down, walk in, dive, exit, down the road for the 2nd dive, eat, get 2 new tanks at resort, head out...

2.) Curacao's shore dive scene sounds different from what I read. Another poster once told me (years ago) the rental truck loaded with tanks & gear we're used to from Bonaire isn't a common 'thing' in Curacao. Some sites have businesses that offer amenities, but it may be expected to pay a usage fee, or rent tanks there (which I suspect means show cert. card & sign a waiver), some sites don't have all that...

It sounds like planning a shore diving trip there would be more drama, but a new area instead of a rehash.

I keep hoping for a list of shore diving sites that includes whether a site is 'rustic' (Bonaire style; bring your own tanks, costs nothing, and there's nothing there), semi-rustic (maybe a food truck or shop nearby, ignore it if you wish) or 'civilized' (amenities but usage fee, and maybe rent tanks there).

Regardless whether you want rustic freedom or a civilized site with a security guard watching your vehicle, concessions afterward and a lounge chair to sit drinking something for your surface interval...how about a listing of which sites are which?

Richard.
Yeah- you nailed it. This will be my 5th Bonaire trip and everything is just so easy and well known there for me now. Cost and ease of diving is so attractive. I have enough Marriott points to stay that entire 2nd week for free at the new'ish Courtyard Marriott for free- so, that is pretty hard to say no to, as well.

Richard.
I am not familiar with the sites on the East end. For the North West end I would say the 'civilized' sites are Cas Abao, Porto Marie and Playa Kalki. They have a security guard, lockers, food, tank rentals etc. 'Semi rustic' sides may include Lagun. Completely, utterly 'rustic' would be the San Juan area(which are one of my favorite). If you stay at Lagun, All West or neighboring Marazul, you will be able to walk from your door to the stairs, to the water. Follow the directions on Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Curacao, ABC Islands. It is valuable in guiding us to some of the more obscure sites.

Curacao does not have the road hugging the coast like Bonaire, but it is still easy to access the sites which are a short drive off main road. The San Juan sites are more challenging in accessing, but no where as bad as I was anticipating. There are plenty of truck rental options. We have rented trucks through All West and DD Car rentals.

2.) Curacao's shore dive scene sounds different from what I read. Another poster once told me (years ago) the rental truck loaded with tanks & gear we're used to from Bonaire isn't a common 'thing' in Curacao. Some sites have businesses that offer amenities, but it may be expected to pay a usage fee, or rent tanks there (which I suspect means show cert. card

Richard.

Richard.

Excellent review and pics! We are headed down to curacao in June and planning just driving around and shore diving. Im hoping there are more shore diving reviews before then to help me plan. We’re working with the dive bus for a drive and dive package but there are 6 of us (3 divers), so they are trying to find a big enough vehicle for both family and diving needs. There normal offerings are too small for all of us.

Thanks for this amazing review! I was wondering if you could tell me more about the kids club. We are hoping to travel with my non-diving sister, a 3 year old and 5 year old. Do you think they can both go to the kids club (I know technically they can but just wondering your thoughts)? How much of the time was your daughter at the kids club vs. with your MIL and wife? I am try to decide if my expectations of getting 10 dives in a week with my husband while my sister and the kids club will be reasonable. I am hoping for 5 days of 2 morning dives (Id really like to take a boat 2-3 days, once to Watamula and once to Eastpoint, maybe Superior Producer) then the rest either drive to and maybe make a day of it at a well appointed beach with the non-diving girls or hit the house or close by house reefs. Does that sound feasible?

Edited to Add: We spent two days and two nights there before and after Bonaire back in 2011 so we kind of have a general idea of the layout of the island. Because of flights we only snorkeled, at Lagun and a reef up by GoWest.

My wife said our daughter loved it, made friends, had activities, employees were great with her and when they saw her out and about on resort grounds greeted her, most of the time by name. I don't know whether and how they deal with pre-potted trained kids, as our daughter was potty trained at the time.

I suggest either taking your own or renting a cheap cell phone so staff can contact you if they need to while you're off grounds. My wife thinks they gave us some sort of device for contact, but we can't remember what it was. I don't know what the range would be.

My wife is sitting here, so I asked her while responding to your post. If their hours cover the hours you need to be gone, that could work out really well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom