Curacao Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joyceschur

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Chicago (but also NY and the Middle East)
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All - I just got back from 2 weeks of hard-core diving in Curacao. Curacao, like Bonaire, boasts spectacular shore diving as well as boat diving. I’m a divemaster with lots of Caribbean experience and I’m giving this trip a 5-star review, the BEST dive vacation I’ve ever been on.

Without going into the story of why I chose Curacao (Sport Diver Magazine was a contributing factor), once I began planning the trip I found everything I needed to know on ScubaBoard.com. Most of what you read here will be a review and confirmation of things written elsewhere on the board.

First off, my time was split between the east end of the island (Willemstad area) and Westpunt. I dove both sides, and I recommend both sides (different experiences). Please be aware that these 2 areas are a 45-minute drive apart, but well worth it.

If you’re staying in the Willemstad area and want to shore dive, The Dive Bus (www.the-dive-bus.com) was impressive on all counts: pre-trip arrangements, organization, cost, location, shuttle services, dive schedule, options, dive education, rental equipment quality, safety, professionalism, and service with a never ending smile that will have you smiling and not wanting to leave. This is not your typical cattle car operator. Groups are small and you will get A LOT of personal attention from these folks. Owners Mark and Suzy are committed to excellence and my dive experiences with The Dive Bus were nothing short of excellent.

SPECIAL TIP: Superior Producer is a top rated wreck dive in the area for experienced divers. The entry/exit can be rough, but Dive Bus Staff will assist to make it safe and do-able.

If you’re diving in Westpunt, look no further than Ocean Encounters WEST. Ocean Encounters has 2 bases of operation (Willemstad and Westpunt). My remarks are limited to Ocean Encounters WEST at Kura Hulanda Lodge in Westpunt (www.oceanencounterswest.com) .

Ocean Encounters West is an equally impressive all-around operation on points listed above: pre-trip arrangements, organization, cost, location, dive schedule, options (boat or shore), dive education, rental equipment quality, safety, professionalism, and a staff that's extremely attentive. Every single dive was a fantastic experience. I couldn't get enough, well exceeded the dive package I originally booked, and didn't want to leave.

Andreas, Bryan, Sean, Steve, David, Marcello, Roy, Julie, Toni. And you WILL remember all these names because they make you feel like family (they also know where the Sea Horses and the Frog Fish are).

SPECIAL TIP: The House Reef, Playa Kalki (Alice in Wonderland) is one of the top-rated shore dives on the island and an absolute must-do. There is no such thing as an OEW boat dive that isn’t a must-do.

I will only list 2 recommendations for staying in the Westpunt area, All West Apartments (www.allwestcuracao.com) is highly cost effective and you can arrange a package deal for accommodations, diving and rental car. I stayed there, it was perfect. For more up-scale accommodations, Lodge Kura Hulanda is adjacent to the dive shop.

OTHER: There is a couple in Westpunt, Sunshine and David Livingston, who operate an eatery out of their home on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (Sol Foods). This is THE place to be because of the ambiance, the food and the clientele. They describe themselves as “friends with food” and that’s exactly what they are. You will immediately feel as if you’ve known them your entire life. They also have a 3-bedroom apartment (sleeping for 6) available for rental.

Everything else you need to know about Curacao can be found on Curacao Sunshine’s website (www.curacaosunshine.com) on their “ABOUT” link, particularly Sunshine’s notes (www.curacaosunshine.com/pages/BEACHES_AND_SITES_AROUND_WESTPUNT.html).

SPECIAL TIP: If you want to bike in Curacao, David Livingston is your man (www.westpuntriders.com).

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Kura Hulanda Museum, Mikveh Israel Synagogue, Queen Emma Pontoon Bridge connecting Punda and Otrobanda (especially when it swings open), the grounds of Hotel Kura Hulanda in Willemstad.

WISH LIST: I want to meet Jacob Gelt Dekker in person.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom