Curacao: Relaxed Guided Dives, Goby Divers or Porto Mari Sports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flamingo Villa is in Coral Estates. Habitat is just down the hill from it.

Since you're staying there see what the dive options are off the former Habitat resort now. That was one of the better dives we did all week. The site is called Nos Kas on some maps - there used to be a dive dock at the water level with setup benches, a tank house, etc. Even if the dive shop is gone, I would assume some of it the structures are still there - Habitat guests used the same stairs then turned right to go to the "beach" - mostly coral rubble but there was a small raised deck there. We also met several Coral Estates residents on the dock one day. Or maybe Goby Divers have taken over those facilities?

We dove it both ways and went back one night. Lots of bigger moray eels, fish, crabs, lobsters etc. Also a "resident" barracuda usually hovering under the diveboat dock next to the large pile of boulders.

Another option for guided shore dives might be to meet the The Dive Bus - WELCOME somewhere. They won't pick you up that far out but you can meet them at a dive site out west.

There's not much shopping out there - St. Wilbrordjus isn't a very big town. So unless you're having the villa pre-stocked, you'll likely have to drive back to west Willemstad for the nearest decent market. It's called Centrum and is a couple miles south of the airport. As you approach the rotary there's a sign pointing to Westpunt to the right - normally you'd do that to go to FV. Instead go straight thru and the market is on the right - 2nd stoplight IIRC. There's a old white water tower on the hill next to it. They sell cheap styro coolers for perishables, you're probably looking at 20mins.+ drive to Flamingo Villa from there. We went first before driving out. (to Lagun - slightly farther)

Let us know how the villa worked out. I read about it a couple years ago but we made other plans. If we ever go back it's an option due to location. Lagun was too far from town for us yet we liked diving the west side better.

Relaxed Guided Divers has the advantage of being along a main road so it's easier access to swap tanks if needed. In some cases we just rented from the on-site operator instead, there's one at most of the better dive sites. Go West is off Playa Kalki, Porto Marie Sports off Porto Marie, Discover Dive off Playa Lagun - it's close enough to Playa Jeremi to work also. And a dive operator on-site at Varsenbaai also. There's others, I just don't remember the names/locations - we also got tanks in Piscadera Bay one day. And near the Tugboat dive on the east side. If you dive it, the best part is the deeper wall around the point, then drift back in over the boat as it's on the bottom at 20'.

Since most of the dive sites on Curacao are 5-10 minutes off the main road - not a lot of street signs once you leave town either - we spent a lot of time traveling to/from sites - more than we expected. Get a good dive site map in addition to the car rental map. I was the navigator and am usually very good at it but at some turns, I just guessed.

ScubaERDoc
I'm just curious who you ended up choosing to do your diving with? We will be in Curacao and as it happens staying a Coral Estates later this summer. Anne-Marie Vermeer owner of the Easy Divers, the one time dive operator at Habitat Curacao, has recommend Goby Divers. Since you have just been there I was hoping you would be willing share your experiences.
I am assuming that the Dive shop at Coral Estates is still not open. I have heard that when it does open, Diveversity is expected to be the operators. I hear the Resort Restaurant is now open, is the Pool near the restaurant open?
Thanks
Jeff
PS I have also sent this as a private message to you through ScubaBoard.

Curious 2 Dive is fantastic as far as relaxed and fun.

Cheers!

Hi everyone- I 've been reading all of your posts and I am heading down to Cruacao in August ..please can you now recommend an economical place to stay and dive in Curasao..any tips and #s would be greatly appreciated.

Check out ..:: All West Apartments & Diving, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles ::...

In connection with GO WEST Diving - EN - Home they offer all a happy diver needs:

Nice apartments with private terrace / balcony, all directly overlooking the bay, with BBQ grills on the shared balcony/walkway on the seaside of the apartments; a shore dive / swimming / snorkeling entry just a few steps downstairs at the beach; a spacious locker room to rinse and keep your gear (plus full air tanks 24/7) with access both to the sea side and the road side (easy drive and dive option); boat dives to the best spots in the area that are not accessible from shore; packages including accomodation, rental car, and diving.

Beautiful surroundings in a quiet atmosphere where you don't find crowds of tourists yet.

Sunshine's Sol Food weekend restaurant at walking distance, where get what must be the best pizza on the island :)

Song,

Do you have any contact info for Goby Divers? We were loyal Habitat Curacao customers and would love to dive with these folks again.

Thanks,

Goby Divers is owned by a couple of former divemasters/instructors from Habitat (recently got an e-mail from them). They are top-notch people and divers who look out for their guests and the reef. While I cannot say I've had any experience with the "new" Goby Divers company I would not hesitate to endorse their owners, would expect nothing less than excellence from them.

Goby Divers:
With over 15 years of experience, Ima & Ậndhiela will pick you up and take you to the most beautiful dive spots on Curacao. PADI Dive Instructors. Free Pick Up!
Email Ima: Ima@Goby-Divers.com / Andhiela@Goby-Divers.com
Phone: 562-3984 / 662-2853

Do you have any contact info for Goby Divers? We were loyal Habitat Curacao customers and would love to dive with these folks again.

Thanks,

Hey- I have'nt chosen any dive operators yet but I am an experienced advanced diver and want to do both shore and boat dives however , I may be traveling alone which makes it difficult for beach dives. what would you recommend? Marcie

---------- Post Merged at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Mark - the #s you gave me don't have area code ..are they 800 #s? would like to phone. thanks, Marcie

Blue Bay offered us some great diving while we were there as well - great shop with great people and awesome shore diving.

Back
Top Bottom