Curacao (Habitat) Trip Report 6/12-6/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Where to start! It was such a great trip and I wish we could have stayed longer! I'll have photos soon but here's the full report of our trip. Sorry it's so long, I'm detailed! :D

Driving was an experience, after about 2-3 days we had a better feel for the island. We didn't expect how big and spread out the island actually was. I would definitly rent a car on Curacao, there's just too many things to see and do and many nice beaches.

We stayed at Habitat, which seems to be in the middle of the island. About 20 or 30 minutes to Wespunt and to Willemstad. After exploring the island and visting Lions Dive, we were glad that we stayed on the other side of the island. I think the majority of the diving is closer to Wespunt as are many of the beaches. We had a garden level room with Habitat that was right behind the restaurant and it had a great patio with a view of the water. Loved the location of this room (#250), close to almost everything. The room had two queen beds, tv, shower with excellent water pressure, a mini fridge and microwave. Decent enough room. AC worked great all week. The hotel restaurant (Ocean's) is okay. We had a couple lunches/dinners there but the food is nothing spectacular. Some of the dutch items on the menu were interesting (Bitter Ballen :shakehead:) Much better places to eat at around the island.

Easy Divers is the onsite dive company. They were okay, laidback as others have mentioned. There was some confusion the first day about having too many people on the boat so they had to take out two boats. That was nice since it split the 24 or so people in half. The rest of the week it was pretty full on both boats and a couple times they had mechanical problems on our boat. Habitat has a nice house reef for shore dives and it's not to far of a swim. Porto Marie is really close to Habitat and also a nice shore dive with very nice beach, restaurant with great smoothies! We did one shore dive at Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland where Ocean Encounters West is located. Andreas is not kidding when he says that Alice in Wonderland and Watamula are two of the best sites. The coral formations are incredible on their shore dive Alice In Wonderland. Watamula is a quick boat ride with them (Easy Divers would not go that far) and we were really impressed with OEW's professionalism. They were great at pointing things out and we enjoyed the smaller boat we took on the afternoon dive. We ended up seeing over 25 Oceanic Triggerfish with nests, an eagle ray and more on that dive. In general, the fish life was very nice. On a couple dives, there were so many fish around us it was hard to focus on anything in particular. We saw tons of little tiny baby fish and some of the biggest fattest fish compared to other places in the Caribbean. Very happy with the diving. We never did get to dive the Superior Producer, the car pile or the tug boat since they were so far from Habitat. Their on my list for the next trip along with The Dive Bus. We've heard a lot of great things about them from the locals and other divers.

The actual island was a lot more dessert looking than I had thought. Lots of hills/mountains and that time of year there is not a lot of greenery. Most hotels and houses have the nice tropical landscaping. However, the water is a vibrant turquoise blue and was really striking. The constant winds were fantastic, I rarely felt hot or humid the entire trip. Made for great nights sitting outside.

As for restaurants our best experience was definitly Sunshine's Sol Food in Westpunt. Sunshine and David have a great house with really nice patio's and a restaurant that they run on Fri/Sat/Sun for Lunch and Dinner. Sunshine was nice enough to email me her notes on the island and after a day or so at Habitat we decided to check them out. What a great surprise! They were great to talk with and we ended up meeting other Scubaboarders and locals there! Sunshine had great pizza with thin crust, really good lasagna and other items. Great desserts! Four loveable dogs made us miss our lab a little less! They also have 3 rooms that you can stay in on the upper level of their home.

We also checked out Kura Hulanda lodge in Wespunt and had a great dinner there (watch your husbands ladies):wink:. We also tried Landhuis Daniel which is close to Habitat. We had a really good meal and probably the fastest service and they were very nice! We did spend one evening in Willemstad but we preferred the other side of the island. We were so busy diving and socializing that we didn't get around to seeing any of the other attracations on the island....next trip I guess!

Surprised to hear Easy Divers wouldn't offer Watamula. It was on the board during my trip down there last fall, but due to sea conditions they weren't able to go (the edge of Felix came through the day we arrived...) Did they actually tell you that they won't go because of the distance?

Some of our best dives were on the house reef, especially night dives. I like the mix of boat diving and shore diving. Boat dive if they're going to sites that aren't shore dives, and otherwise just plan your own day.

What a great trip report! I for one appreciate the details. We will be in Curacao for the first time in Jan. and have been mulling over staying in Westpunt versus the mid part of the island to put us in a more central location. I think you answered my question when you talked about how wonderful the diving and beaches are in Westpunt.

Scubawife - We asked Easy Divers if they would head to Watamula since it would save us $100 but they said it was too far. I'm wondering if the condition of their boats played a part in that? Our boat had issues twice that week but they were able to fix them. All week on the boat, they never got quite that far towards the Playa Kalki area.

Also, you can have Easy Divers call ahead 30 mins to Ocean Encounters West so you can use their tanks for a shore dive at Alice In Wonderland. Good thing we did because we found out that OEW had a big group come in that day and they didn't have extra tanks so we had to take a couple from Habitat.

I'll try to get my photos up sometime this week!

UWBB:

Wow!! That was an awesome trip report. Upload the pictures as soon as you have time.

How was the airport and air traffic situation now that American is cutting flights to Curacao?

Actually it wasn't too bad. I'm not sure why they make tourists wait in line after going through Customs. I guess they weed out tourists from people with declarations but they just waved us right through. I thought the airport was pretty decent. As for American, all the flights we were on were completely full. I'm just waiting for having to pay for drinks on our next trip!

UWBB:
How was the airport and air traffic situation now that American is cutting flights to Curacao?
Most of the airline service cuts will go into effect sometime in August. AA is reducing service on American Eagle throughout the Caribbean and also on flights from US cities to San Juan. CO has taken Curacao off the schedule completely from Aug 30-Dec 20 (and with that went my Oct spawning week trip...) Air Jamaica is also looking at route cuts and service reductions on their flights from Jamaica to other islands.

Scubawife - We asked Easy Divers if they would head to Watamula since it would save us $100 but they said it was too far. I'm wondering if the condition of their boats played a part in that? Our boat had issues twice that week but they were able to fix them. All week on the boat, they never got quite that far towards the Playa Kalki area.

Also, you can have Easy Divers call ahead 30 mins to Ocean Encounters West so you can use their tanks for a shore dive at Alice In Wonderland. Good thing we did because we found out that OEW had a big group come in that day and they didn't have extra tanks so we had to take a couple from Habitat.

I'll try to get my photos up sometime this week!
Might have been too far for the boat. I had no probs with Easy Divers, but we only did 3 days of boat dives.

The arrangement they have with Ocean Encounters is very convenient. No need to haul your tanks with you.

We really liked Habitat and were looking forward to the Oct spawning week... but CO apparently had other ideas :( We might try again after December when either the CO flights come back and I can use miles, or if we have to do all the crappy connections and more $$ flights, at least we'll be expecting that and plan accordingly.

I was going to check out some places in Westpunt for future trips. Big criteria is that we want someplace with a good house reef and 24/7 diving (well lit at night too.)

I've been to Habitat a bunch of times and they've never done Watamula, it's pretty far from there. If they did add it to the schedule it would be nice. Perhaps I've been fortunate but never had boat problems with them, so I don't think that has anything to do with going out there or not.

I've been to Habitat a bunch of times and they've never done Watamula, it's pretty far from there. If they did add it to the schedule it would be nice. Perhaps I've been fortunate but never had boat problems with them, so I don't think that has anything to do with going out there or not.
The week I was there, they also had a big group (annual trip for the group), so maybe it was on the board because some in the group wanted it? The resort wasn't anywhere near full and not even half were boat diving. Who knows, but it was offered... even though due to conditions it didn't go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom