Cuan Law cancellation - be forewarned when you book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove on the Cuan Law several years ago and had some real issues with noise from guest and on the top deck above all the cabins as well as gearing up then waiting for the tender on every dive. Quite a few crummy sites. I would not spend the money and look for a more accomodating group to work with. They never responded to our feed back letter so we take every opporunity to "get even" I suppose. capt. jim

I can see why they didn't respond to your feedback letter.

On the pacific diving, once we have been to Australia and PNG it makes the diving in the Caribbean ...so-so. I still can enjoy it, it's that some of the fantastic diving in the Pacific is really...well fantastic
6f0ff214.jpg

e9cd03a6.jpg

File0019.jpg

File0017.jpg

File0016.jpg

File0014.jpg

File0012.jpg

File0007.jpg

File0006.jpg

File0005.jpg

File0004.jpg

File0003.jpg

I agree!!!

In addition to your DAN for medical check out Dive Assure. We had to leave a liveaboard early and while DAN covered the medical portion I think it was our Dive Assure that helped with the travel end.
Just a word of advice for those going on this boat or other similar charters. I actually booked insurance for this trip from a large, nationally recognized insurer, thinking I would be safe if the Cuan law cancelled. What I failed to realize, and it is my own fault for not checking more closely, is that if the supplier is not a recognized supplier by the insurance company, then there is no refund of costs. Because this insurance company did not recognize Cuan Law, they would not reimburse costs.

Next time, I will check out Dive Assure!

In my business I work with many live-aboard dive operators around the world. I've worked very closely with the owners of Cuan Law for many years. They are one of the BEST RUN live-aboard operations that I've had the pleasure to know. I've been on the boat three times and each trip was better than the last. They run a top notch operation and I highly recommend them and their beautiful boat.

The owners of Cuan Law are neither greedy or deceptive. In fact, I've found them to be some of the most fair and honest people I do business with. They are running a business and have to make business decisions that will keep them in business. I'm sure their cancellation policies are no different than any other live-aboard trying to make a living in this industry and economy.

If someone makes the decision to purchase non-refundable or fee-for-changes airline tickets after having been told that the trip could possibly cancel because it was not full, then they have nobody to blame but them self. If someone buys trip insurance without knowing what they are covered for, it sounds to me like they need to re-think their policies.

In my business I work with many live-aboard dive operators around the world. I've worked very closely with the owners of Cuan Law for many years. They are one of the BEST RUN live-aboard operations that I've had the pleasure to know. I've been on the boat three times and each trip was better than the last. They run a top notch operation and I highly recommend them and their beautiful boat.

The owners of Cuan Law are neither greedy or deceptive. In fact, I've found them to be some of the most fair and honest people I do business with. They are running a business and have to make business decisions that will keep them in business. I'm sure their cancellation policies are no different than any other live-aboard trying to make a living in this industry and economy.

If someone makes the decision to purchase non-refundable or fee-for-changes airline tickets after having been told that the trip could possibly cancel because it was not full, then they have nobody to blame but them self. If someone buys trip insurance without knowing what they are covered for, it sounds to me like they need to re-think their policies.

Now that's the attitude I've come to expect from this open progressive forum.

This is really noteworthy of a progressive forum.

Listening but not really hearing the true argument, running headlong into subjective conclusions w/a jab of personal attack.

The vast majority of us are in business in one industry or another. Being in business is not enough for a demand of deference.

I closely watched this thread to see if anyone had the heart to actually consider if these policies could or should be changed and discuss viable alternatives.

Instead of business minded people intelligently considering new possibilities, it's become a lovefest testimonial service.

Since we can't think of anything better let me offer a few alternative customer policies and practices.

For those of you who don't want to wait until the very last minute to purchase airfare because you need to know if the charter is actually going somewhere or not.

Here's my advice, until they commit to actually going somewhere, don't pay the full price until they do.

If you have to wait for a confirmation before you purchase your airfare, note the price at the time of your reservation. If the price of your airfare has gone up, demand the charter company pay the difference.

If you don't find those acceptable, then find another operator altogether who is committed to their calendar and give that operator your business, money and time. (It is your week you're sharing with them after all)

Above all check with your major insurance provider to see if they can save you from being insulted on Scubaboard by covering all your trips and destinations.

Lastly refuse to do ANY business with a company that will marginalize you as a customer because of an inconvenience to their business.

Business practices and policies change all the time with forward thinking companies.

Companies on the decline will make the customer suffer for their inabilities. They are responsible for selling the spaces on the boat, customers should not be inconvenienced for their failures.

If they can't sell the minimum numbers for a charter it's the companies policies that should be in question, not the guy or gal who took time out to call, reserve, send money, buy airfare, purchase gear, get a hotel, buy travel and dive insurance, etc.....

Lastly don't allow yourself or other's to be treated as second class citizens by a dive operation because you deeply love the sport or because you've had prior experience and they treated you well.

How would you feel if that was your vacation you worked, saved and planned for and waited with great anticipation to go on?

Within the past hour I read an article on another scuba news website that addressed this issue. The article opened with these sentences:

"When you go to a movie and only three other people show up, does the theater close? If you’re the only couple at a restaurant, do they refuse to serve you and shut the door? Obviously, no to both questions. So why can’t the same be expected from
dive operators?"

I shutter to think I could become acclimated to a industry standard or practice that would so devalue me as a customer.

What's even worse would be my failure to see how totally unacceptable those practices and standards are.

This not a fair comparison. It is much less expensive to run a movie or serve a meal than to run a 100 foot boat with Captain, engineer, cook, steward and two dive guides.

This not a fair comparison. It is much less expensive to run a movie or serve a meal than to run a 100 foot boat with Captain, engineer, cook, steward and two dive guides.

Implication here is that the Capt., Engineer, Cook, Steward and 2 dive guides do NOT get paid if the boat stays in port. If they do get paid, then why NOT take the boat out. If they don't, then why should THEY have to bear the burden of the Owners' poor management of the operation? That's gotta be a real morale booster.:depressed:

Implication here is that the Capt., Engineer, Cook, Steward and 2 dive guides do NOT get paid if the boat stays in port. If they do get paid, then why NOT take the boat out. If they don't, then why should THEY have to bear the burden of the Owners' poor management of the operation? That's gotta be a real morale booster.:depressed:

Every boat operation has their own methods of paying their crew. Some might work completely on tips or some might work part salary and part tips.

some crew get paid a salary that is monthly and some are paid per trip.

some the captain(s) might share in the tips for example, and some the deck crew only might get the tips.

It all differs per operation.

Regardless, many weeks of canceled trips by poor management of the operation ususally usually result in a lot more crew turnover eventually.

Like I said earlier, this doesn't benefit the customer or the boat (and/or the crew either).

This is for Damselfish: Be very careful with this company. We were very unhappy with the crew and way we were treated. The food was great but the logistics for eating were not great. The way the boat was set up for diving left a lot to be desired. Each diver suited up one at a time and waited to board a dingy. Riding on the float of the dingy with tank straped to your back hanging over the side was a chore in calm waters, and we had more non-calm waters. We wrote the company when we got home, listing pros and cons, never heard from them.

Back
Top Bottom