CSSP Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBARACER

Reaction score
1. Do you need a drysuit? I have a .5 Mil skin, and a Henderson 5/5 Combo. Will this be sufficient at most depths there?

2. Can you camp right at the edge of where you enter the water?

3. Where do you take a shower, since there is no shower facilities? Do you take a shower?

4. Where is there to eat? Is it a bring your icechest, and start a fire type place?

I've never been there, and the website just doesn't tell me everything I would like to know. ZenSquirrel, and I will be there from May 7th-9th. So if you any of you are there come by and say hi! We will be in the F250 Platinum Edition (Silver/Mineral Grey)

Thanks
Jason

) By 5/5 combo do you mean a Farmer John? My buddy was in a 5mm jumpsuit and got pretty chilled about 20 minutes into the dive. We were running a line at 40' = 52F. It was about a 50/50 mix between dry & wet suits today. I'm planning on breaking out my 7/5 next week. (Above 30' temp was in the mid to upper 60's) YMMV

2) Not sure how strict they are about pitching tents. Looking at the map, I'd say you can get well within 100' of the stone entries and still be completely legal. I've seen RVs closer than that to the SW stone entry.

3) This is NORTH Texas - what ya want to take a shower for?

4) They have plenty of grills on the West side, which is my usual stomping grounds. The best vis, by far, is between the 2 docks on that side. I don't know about the camping area, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have grills there as well. Also town is only about a 5 minute drive from the gate.

I'll keep an eye out for ya.

There are a couple decent places to eat in Terrell. I am blanking on the name of the Mexican place that is a popular after dive eaterie for my favorite buddies.

Wet/Dry what is your tolerance level?

BYO shower if you want to take one. Check the camping catalogs.

I don't camp out there. Its too close to home. If I was in your boat I could skip the shower for a day or so.

TwoBit

Texass:
) By 5/5 combo do you mean a Farmer John? My buddy was in a 5mm jumpsuit and got pretty chilled about 20 minutes into the dive. We were running a line at 40' = 52F. It was about a 50/50 mix between dry & wet suits today. I'm planning on breaking out my 7/5 next week. (Above 30' temp was in the mid to upper 60's) YMMV

2) Not sure how strict they are about pitching tents. Looking at the map, I'd say you can get well within 100' of the stone entries and still be completely legal. I've seen RVs closer than that to the SW stone entry.

3) This is NORTH Texas - what ya want to take a shower for?

4) They have plenty of grills on the West side, which is my usual stomping grounds. The best vis, by far, is between the 2 docks on that side. I don't know about the camping area, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have grills there as well. Also town is only about a 5 minute drive from the gate.

I'll keep an eye out for ya.

It is a Farmer John combo. So all together it's a 10mil

Thanks for the info, I hope I'm fine at 40'-52 degree water in that...

i have been diving out there all winter and wore a seven mill semi dri with a 5/3 hood and vest and it is tolerable

derrick

TwoBitTxn:
There are a couple decent places to eat in Terrell. I am blanking on the name of the Mexican place that is a popular after dive eaterie for my favorite buddies.

Are you thinking of PD's? That's where you, me, Mike and Tab ate one Sunday afternoon after diving.

There is also a good chicken-fried steak place a little further up the street, but I can't remember the name of it right now.

I dove CSSP on March 6th. I wore a Bare 7mil semi dry and was quite comfortable. Surface temp was 51 and at 52' it was 49.

We camped there, needed electricity so stayed back where there are electrical hookups, but you can get pretty close to the water. There are no shower facilities there, so either enjoy a cold dip or take a bucket and do like I did, and rinse my hair and face.

There are fire rings around the area. Over on the NW shore there were some grills that you can use.

Headed to Tyler State Park this weekend to dive the small lake there.

There are other ways to take a comfortable shower than having to mess with those hard to handle solar showers or the ridiculously expensive hot water camp showers. Go down to the local Wally World and buy a garden sprayer, preferably with the "lock on" feature (just remember to mark it "water only" so it doesn't get mixed up with your insecticide/weed killer ones). When I take the wand tip off of the handle of mine the hose/shower head from my solar shower fits the handle perfectly. Just leave the tank in the sun for 3-4 hours to warm up the water, or heat it up in another container.

If you want to get really fancy, buy a good metal sprayer tank and heat the water up in it over a propane burner (a turkey frying kit burner would work great). Or you could stay primative and use the campfire.

If you want to get really, really, really fancy, get a diaphragm pump like goes on a boom sprayer, put a shower head on the end of the output hose, drop the end of the input hose into your hot water source, hook it up to a battery, and wallah, mega shower! Just remember to use a looong ouput hose, and dry off before you unhook the pump from the battery. :11: Or get your buddy to do it.

Safety first!

Hey Sealskin.....have you ever thought about changing your name to MacGyver?
:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom