CSSP friday afternoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha! After living with my first wife for 20 years I'm guilt-proof. She worked me over enough to callous me to any "normal" feelings of guilt. :shakehead: There was a little ribbing, but mostly they were asking legitimate questions. Personally, I thought I was especially kind and understanding. :D I can see how someone who hasn't made the leap to tech diving might feel a little put off by it all though.

Safe diving at CSSP tomorrow!
If it's any consolation, K-valve feels a little guilty.

Ha! After living with my first wife for 20 years I'm guilt-proof. She worked me over enough to callous me to any "normal" feelings of guilt. :shakehead:

I stand corrected!

I'm probably wrong, but I think the mindset with tech diving comes from the recreational training agencies. It's bad to dive alone, never ever shake a ba....wait, I mean never ever dive below 130', avoid surpassing the decompression limits at all costs! You know...that kind of stuff.

The fact is that beginning technical diving is not that much of a stretch from AOW. It's expensive...the doubles, the regs, the stage bottles, etc, but for someone with a calm demeanor, an average IQ, some descretionary income, and decent skills it should be pretty easy to learn the new skills and and implement them in the water. I'd recommend refining those skills before proceeding past trimix though. Once you get into things like hypoxic and cave diving you better have your act together. Just my personal opinion.

So, John, I hope you'll reconsider if you think you're ready. Being able to exceed the recreational limits and stay down there a little while opens up a whole new world. You'll see things other people never will and you'll be in a more pristine part of the environment...of course, in a lake you'll find way more cool stuff too. :wink:

It was a beautiful day in North Texas. Sunny. 77F. A class was at the other end but the only diver I saw all day was Ryan on Dive 2.

Dive 1
Did absolutely nothing and enjoyed every minute of it. Used it to calibrate my SAC rate at rest in a drysuit. (.369 cuft/min) Duration: 52 min.

Surface Interval
Nap in the sun on the dock. Almost as enjoyable as Dive 1.

Dive 2
Maiden voyage for Ryan's doubles. After a somewhat shaky couple of minutes getting buoyancy sorted out, you would have thought the boy was born with a set of doubles on his back, except for getting out of the water. He was climbing the ladder and reached for the rail on the left side. There IS NO rail on the left side! He fell off the ladder backwards and would have killed me if I had still been in the water. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Of course I told him I wouldn't include that part in my report. (Sucker!) Duration: 59 min.

Avg. Temp.: 75F
Visibility: 5-7 ft

Lies all lies. :)

First time in double was pretty interesting, defiantly took some getting used to. I think 5-6 more dives in them and I will be good to go. Was going to make a few more dives, but my damn 1st stage took a crap on me. Can't wait to see how high the IP is tomorrow at work.:shakehead:

On another note Vis, is seeming to get better once again.

I usually shoot things that take a crap on me.

Craig,
You're a bad man!
Shame! Shame! :shakehead:

First time in double was pretty interesting, defiantly took some getting used to. I think 5-6 more dives in them and I will be good to go.
Sounds to me like you did pretty well for your first time. The first time I got in the water with doubles my instructor...Matt Booth...indicated that it was time to step off the platform and practice skills. I failed to inflate my wing enough and basically did a face plant in the bottom of Lake Travis. Matt says all he could see was my fins flailing about and a big cloud of silt. :blush:

Sounds to me like you did pretty well for your first time. The first time I got in the water with doubles my instructor...Matt Booth...indicated that it was time to step off the platform and practice skills. I failed to inflate my wing enough and basically did a face plant in the bottom of Lake Travis. Matt says all he could see was my fins flailing about and a big cloud of silt. :blush:

LOL, I actually thought I might do the same thing when I first descended down, I am used to dumping all my air out of my wing, not anymore, I started down really fast, but luckily caught it before I got to the plane. I really need a dry suit now, I am a lot more negative than I figured I would be at the start of the dive.

Back
Top Bottom