CSSP - Air Price Increase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner:
SNIP> A nice little cool scuba compressor can be had for about 3.5K and up. Add opperating cost and a person might break even in only 550 dives ( give or take a dive or 2 :D ) Average one dive a week year round and that will take about 11 years to recover :11: If you do 3 times that ( 150 dives a year) the compressor could make sense. <SNIP

LOL, OR, you could go to work at a scuba shop,spend thousands of dollars on scuba equipment, training, insurance,work the counter, talk to customers, help unload tanks, empty trash, and get "free air". Yeah, Yeah sign me up!!!!:lol: :11:

Debraw:
LOL, OR, you could go to work at a scuba shop,spend thousands of dollars on scuba equipment, training, insurance,work the counter, talk to customers, help unload tanks, empty trash, and get "free air". Yeah, Yeah sign me up!!!!:lol: :11:

OR... you could go to work for the fire dept and get all the free air you want. :mooner:

FD

Debra makes a really good point.
Diving is what you make it.

I have literally, spent all day in the water certifying students for a university program.
Standing on dock one at Athens eating deep fried chicken breast in my semi-day suit freezing my butt off while someone is changing out my tank (still on my back) waiting for the next group of students shaking my head looking at the water temp of 60 degrees on my dive computer. The two thoughts on my mind are I need to get back in the water to pee and I really want a drysuit for next dive season. Finally, at 4pm you have the dive master pull the buoy and you trek back to a trailer to “peel off” your gear. You leave on the semi dry suit because you will get the shakes if you take it off before getting into the showers. You are eating in your suit again walking to the shower because your body is basically in shock, you are dehydrated although you have already drank over a liter of water, your fingers are pruned, and you are still smiling for your students. While in the back of your mind you are worried about making multiple shallow dives (six) in one day.

Diving is what you make of it.
Debra- keep up the good work.

Later, Andrew

Timeliner:
A nice little cool scuba compressor can be had for about 3.5K and up. Add opperating cost and a person might break even in only 550 dives ( give or take a dive or 2 :D )

By Saturday my dive club will have collectively made that many dives in the past week.

What these backwater businessmen don't seem to understand is that increasing prices doesn't necessarily result in increased revenues. If people decide to get fills elsewhere not only is the extra $2 lost but the base $5. And for every person who decides to not go diving there on a given day, that wipes out the extra $2 on at least 15 fills.

The laws of economics dictate that there is an inverse relationship between cost of an item and demand for that item. Some have expressed a big problem with $10. OK, so they draw the line at $10. Undoubedtly others draw the line lower.

Now, we can glibly say "it's only $2" and that it won't be a make or break factor. But where is the cutoff? In a few months they can raise it from $7 to $9. "It's only two bucks." A few months after that they can raise it from $9 to $11. "It's only two bucks."
Next spring from $11 to $13. "It's only two bucks."

Athens charges $10 and I know a lot of people that wouldn't go there or at least make darn sure they take all the air they need. Maybe CSSP is just envious of Athen's wildly successful business model.

Guess I'll just start getting my tanks filled at my LDC before I go or after I come back. There's are $5 and they're on the way to either place.

Timeliner:
A nice little cool scuba compressor can be had for about 3.5K and up. Add opperating cost and a person might break even in only 550 dives ( give or take a dive or 2 :D )

Average one dive a week year round and that will take about 11 years to recover :11:

If you dive two tanks a day, every day, you would break even in about 9 months. Three tanks a day would cut that to 6 minoths. Of course the best thing to do is fill up at the local firehouse for free, if you were to have access to such a thing, that is. :)

ReefHound:
. Maybe CSSP is just envious of Athen's wildly successful business model.

Wildly successful????

You havn't been to Athens lately have you?

Athens isn't a third of what it was before CSSP opened.

TwoBit

3 dives a day... My own personal compressor... now that does sound like a plan !!!
I would Rule !! :crafty:

My local Fire dept. doesn't carry Peppermint air yet but aside from that it tastes pretty good :D If you go there when the wind is just right out of the North West ( 325 degree heading) you'll catch the breeze coming from the Sara Lee Bakery and that always smells like fresh doughnuts.

No wonder I think about coffee when I dive :wink:

TwoBitTxn:
Wildly successful????

You havn't been to Athens lately have you?

Athens isn't a third of what it was before CSSP opened.

TwoBit

Um, I guess the sarcasm wasn't as obvious as I thought. You're exactly right.

Back
Top Bottom