Crystal river manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like Bird gets the vote!

I emailed a friend last night who lives in naples. He says that Silver Springs is the best place. Is that part of the Crystal river complex?

He recommended the Plantation Inn as a good place to stay, though I was thinking more along the lines of renting a cottage, as we have 2 small kids and they are easier to deal with in our own time & space, as it were!

I was not necessarily planning to scuba with them, just snorkel and take pickies. If it is worth scubing then I will consider it when I get there, though I do not intend to take my dive gear, just snorkelling kit, camera and, by the looks of things, a very thick wet suit!

Is there amminmum age for kids to go in with them? I have a daughter who will be 5 in December who is a keen swimmer, though she has never snorkelled yet. I am sure it would not take long to get her to learn to snorkel and then she could come in with me!

Thanks again for all the advice.

regards
Jim

I didn't think that there were any manatees at Silver Springs. Silver Springs is more like an environmental theme park with glass bottom boats and other animals, and it is no where close to Crystal River.

I saw pleanty of manatees when I went to Crystal River a few years ago.

I went this past March and booked with American Pro Diving (for no particular reason). With APD there was about 10 of us on a pontoon boat (and that was quite crowded). The nice thing about my trip was that we snorkeled with the manatees that morning, then had a cavern dive that afternoon. There was only 3 of us diving, so we got a personal guided tour of King Spring, I think it was, for no extra charge. I wore a 3mil farmer john with a hood and was quite comfortable. You can rent boats from some local places and they will give you a map of the area which seems to be easily navigable.

As far as the diving with manatees goes, I haven't heard that its illegal, although its said that the bubbles spook them. I think it may be illegal to "go after" them though. There are plenty of volunteers that patrol the manatees and manatee tours that can ticket you for breaking the rules/laws. I don't think there is an age limit to snorkel with the manatees. There were some young kids on my boat (prob around 5-6 yrs old). Plus you put your daughter in a wetsuit and she'll float anyways :wink:

Hope you get the info you need,
Tom

interesting what you say about Silver Springs - I will check it out.

Don't think I have any plans to go diving as such. Have to keep a fine balance between keeping the kids (and my wife!) happy and wanting to foto manatees. I think I will do a couple of mornings with the manatees and that is why I don't want to be on a crowded boat.

I would prefer to have a boat to oursleves and take our own guide to get things just right. Don't want to be pushing through 10 other snorkellers to get the right shot of the manatees. I will see if Bird can offer such a service. We would need our own driver for the boat anyway, as we would need someone to look after it while we are in the water!

My eldest daughter is quite an accomplished swimmer for someone of 4 & a half years. By December she will be well o the way to being a budding Joanna Weismueller, as it were. I will spend a few weeks with her in the swimming pool seing if she likes the idea of a mask and snorkel. If so, then we'd be cooking on gas!

Thanks again...

Hmmmmmmm....... I looked at the Silver Springs web site. Looks like a tacky zoo to me!!!!!! Sopek the child-eating croc, 66-seater glass bottom boats, Kids Ahoy Playland. Yech! Not my cup of tea, though no doubt my children would think it's fab!

I better check with my friend this is the same Sliver Springs!

A great place to camp. the grounds have excellant facilities, laundry, ramps, Pantoon boats for rent, swimming pools and more. A lot of snow birds spend the winter there.

If you are not familier with Flroida waters and a boater, have Birds take you. Otherwise you may be in for a lot of harrassment from the local residents. They live on the springs and believe that they own them. Retired old farts with nothing better to do like to play Client Eastwood in their conoes and Kayaks, thinking they have a right to run off divers. I had one try to run me over and cut me off with his Kayak, sorry dud the Manatee approached me from under water and grabbed my fin. I should have turned him over.

The springs and the waters belong to the state and the people of Florida. You built your house on a national attraction, deal with the visitors. Just like the people that build a house next to an airport and complain about the noise and traffic.

Anyway, it's a fun place an a must visit.

I'm sure camping in jolly Old England is much different then here in Florida!

There's only one Silver Springs. It is a commercial theme park.

Has been since before Lloyud Bridges played Mike Nelson in the 50's - 60's Sea Hunt Series. Now on OLN DTV channnel 608 for this month at 9 PM depending upon location.

there is Silver Glenn Springs. It is a swimming hole, then most of our springs are, unless they have been dredged out for diving.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom