Crystal river manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Jim

Contributor
Reaction score
Howdee all

Has anyone been snorkelling with manatees in Crystal River?

If so, here are some questions for you!
1. When is the best time to visit?
2. Who is the most reputable operator?
3. Do they "cattle boat" you to see them, or is it in small groups?
4. Can you get your own guide?
5. What is the water temperature?
6. Err… anything else you think I should know?

Thanks very much in advance!

Yes I have gone.

1. I think the best time to go is anywhere between mid October to early March.

2. I recommend Bird's Underwater.

3. When I rent me and a couple friends rented a pontoon boat and went to go see them.

4. I don't even know if you ahve to have a guide, but I'm sure they are available.

5. In the springs sections of the river the water will be 68ºF-72ºF. The river would, I imagine, be a little cooler. In otherwords, yes wear a wetsuit.

6. I had the most fun when I went. They are like 1 ton puppy dogs. We watched a short video in the shop that told you the rules, etc. Like don't mess with a mother and her calf, let the manatee make first contact, etc.

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
Howdee all

Has anyone been snorkelling with manatees in Crystal River?

If so, here are some questions for you!
1. When is the best time to visit?
2. Who is the most reputable operator?
3. Do they "cattle boat" you to see them, or is it in small groups?
4. Can you get your own guide?
5. What is the water temperature?
6. Err… anything else you think I should know?

Thanks very much in advance!

1. Late fall, winter, early spring will usually find success with winter being the best.

2. Bird's Underwater. Bird's crew knows where to find them.

3. Small groups on a pontoon boat.

4. Ask Bird.

5. Chilly. You will need a heavy wetsuit. I did it in a drysuit. I want to say in the 60's at the warmest. Cooler air temps too.

6. Bird goes out EARLY.....like real early. If I remember correctly, you will need to be at the shop around 6:30 am...maybe earlier. But he's the best at finding them.

6a. He'll warm you up with hot chocolate and donuts too.

http://birdsunderwater.com

The manatees were great. I love zoos, aquariums, petting zoos..... so this was right up my ally. We had some babies that were literally all over us.

I think the main months are Nov/Dec, when the rivers are warmer than the ocean, through Mar/April. I believe that is what Birds told me.

They only rent 3ml with a beanie and gloves. I used a 5mil and was still pretty chilled. I would use a hood or hooded vest next time.

I bought the video for $30? They film your group and sell them. It was worth it for the first time.

I know friends who just stay at a hotel on the river and "shore" snorkle to them. But I would not do that for the first time.

Have fun.

I agree with all that the rest have said. Birds leaves early, you have to be there at about 6:30 am but it's worth it. Like most animals, manatees bunch together at night then spread out in the morning, so the best way to see one is to be on their migration path when they are on the move, thats why he leaves so early.
You can rent a pontoon boat for a fairly cheap price but you are much better off with a guide. What we did was go out with Bird to see the manatees in the morning, grabbed a bite of lunch then rented a boat a dove in Kings Spring that afternoon.
We went with Bird last Feb and got into a bunch of manatees. We were in the water at least 2 hrs with them all around us. Unlike some operators I have seen, Bird did not rush us and gave us our monies worth. The air and water temp last Feb was in the 60-65 range. A hood helps a lot.

http://www.birdsunderwater.com/index.html

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
I'll contact Bird and see what he says!

Regards

Bill "Bird" is a class act and I'll add my name to the list of endorsees! Had a great time in Crystal River a few years ago with my step-kids and wife... some of the best fun I've ever had in the water in Florida... good luck. Sure you will enjoy

Be sure to check when they close the sanctuary areas. Certain areas are closed from I believe mid Nov to Mar. Theses areas are the hotspots to find them.
Just about everybody down there has boat rentals if you want to go buy yourself or with a small group of family members. Just observe the speed limits they will ticket you in a heartbeat because the excess speed resaults in a lot manatee deaths. If you stay at a hotel on the river (crystal river) you can snorkel from the docks.
Take or rent an underwater camera it will be well worth it.
It is Illegal to touch them while using scuba gear.
Anything percieved as harrassing them can land you in jail.
Highly recomended you dont feed them (may even be illegal)

I have never heard that it is illegal to touch them while on scuba. Where did you hear that? I looked under conservation statutes regarding animals and didn't see that. In the Crystal River area I was once told that the bubbles from scuba can frighten or stress the manatees, but when diving I was still approached by them. State Parks (like Blue Springs) generally have a no contact or get a citation rule, because those are considered manatee sanctuaries.

Ive been to crystal river and I agree with the time to go (winter months). Instead of doing a boat dive with a group me and my buddy rented a small john boat. It was great. We were able to get around on our own pace and we were able to go to any little spot we wanted. We swam with four or five manatees and saw about a dozen more from the boat. We were there in late Feb. We also saw a huge (it was THIS BIG...lol) tarpon and tons of schools of fish. My experience there was awesome.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom