crystal river florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You didn't mention when you are coming. If the trip is for the manatees, better make sure you are there when it is COLD or you will be disappointed. Diving in Crystal River is at King's Spring, small cavern and the bowel has maybe three days a month, in the winter, when the viz. is more than a few inches. New rules will be coming out in the next few weeks from FWC about the three sisters area. Rainbow is more a snorkel and Blue Grotto and Devil's Den are dives.

When was the last time that Crystal river was crystal?

You can rent a boat and dive all the springs in about half a day. The water coming out of the springs is crystal clear, the rest of the river is murky. I personally enjoyed diving both CR and RR but wouldnt do them more than once a year at the most!
Crystal Lodge rents pontoon boats at a reasonable rate and will give you a map and orientation to the river and springs.
Hope this helps!

we are trying to plan for dec 7 thru the 13th. Is this a good time for the manatee's?

Hopefully after diving with the manatees we will be able to do a salt water dive also. is there a good place near crystal river to dive the gulf? I have never been to Florida and want to make the best of it. My wife doesn't want to do the Oriskany so we need to stay close to crystal river due to budget. Any reefs or wrecks? Any volunteers to show us around?

The closest I am aware of is still a long drive - Port St. Joe on the panhandle. Daly's Dock and Dive did a great job for us, and we had a nice 2 tank dive on the Vamar. A short boat ride from the dock. Maybe someone local knows of a closer place for salt water.

Where are the prime dive spots from Crystal River to Pensacola Florida? And instead of a crowded "Tour Dive" is there such thing as an "Experienced Local" that will take us "Under the Sea.?"

I've never scubaed in the area (my buddies chickened out). I used Birds for the manatee tour in February. It cost around $40 (or a bit less). This year I'll be going back with my own kayak (you can probably rent one locally for a lot less than a regular boat) to do it all over again. The first really cold fronts haven't hit Florida quite yet, so the manatees haven't begun to congregate. As soon as it gets cold, they'll be there. This is wetsuit snorkeling by the way...the springs where they hang out are 72 degrees.

Attachments

• DSC01888A.jpg
    DSC01888A.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
Our first cold front could be (forecasted) this weekend - a little on the early side, but it is November after all.

I love the cooler weather, but fronts = high winds and rough seas - just in time for the weekend Below is Nat Weather Service for Jupiter to Hillsboro - its about the same through Miami for the next few days:

Friday...Northwest winds 16 to 21 knots near shore to northwest 20 to 25 knots in the gulf stream. Near shore...seas 2 to 4 feet building to 4 to 6 feet. In the gulf stream...seas 6 to 8 feet. Dominant period 7 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Friday Night...Northwest winds 15 to 20 knots near shore to northwest 19 to 24 knots in the gulf stream. Seas 4 to 6 feet near shore and up to 6 to 8 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Saturday...North northwest winds 16 to 21 knots near shore to north northwest 18 to 23 knots in the gulf stream. Seas 5 to 7 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet in the gulf stream. East northeast swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Saturday Night...North northwest winds 13 to 18 knots near shore to north 17 to 22 knots in the gulf stream. Seas 5 to 7 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet in the gulf stream. East northeast swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Isolated showers.

Sunday...North northeast winds 17 to 22 knots. Seas 7 to 9 feet. East northeast swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Isolated showers.

That will be a good time to go. EARLI inthe morning as possible,, weekday if possible. Get to Three Sisters Springs at dawn before it gets crowded. " Bird's " runs an early morning trip.
I used to take trips to swim , no SCUBA, with the manatees, but have retired. You can rent a kayak, jonboat, or pontoon from Crysal Lodge Dive Center,,, but their charters are cheap . Kings Springs is the only halfway decent place to dive, but the vis hasn't been great there in a long time. Once divers enter the cave there, there is even less vis in the basin. No diving in the Gulf , unless you go quite a distance out to clearer, deeper water . Rainbow River is a good , shallow drift dive, & I suggest arranging a trip to there with a C. River dive shop. Also, one that " stays " with you while you dive, rather than leaves you on your own. Williston, 45 miles from Crystal River has 2 places to dive; Devil's Den & Blue Grotto.
PM me if more info is needed.

My first choice is Bird's,But I have rented a inexpensive boat at the Port Hotel Port hotel and Marina - Home of the Manatee, Crystal River Florida.
The T are just off the dock, and easy to find as the tour opps move in the T move around and you can snorkel with them,
The Port Hotel is a bit tired place to stay at but its location on Kings spring the major location of T makes it a great place to be,It has a great dive shop and boat rental on site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom