Cruise stop...belize city.....dive Turneffe Atoll.....or barrier reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My website is in my profile, and so is Steve's. Either of us would be glad to help, as I suspect would several other dive centers here.

On practicalities, you'd need to get a cab to the Municipal Airstrip, just north of Belize City on the sea. Tropic Air and Maya Island both run hourly flights to San Pedro, leaving (approximately) on the half hour. Round trip something like US$60, flight time around 20 mins. If you contact the dive center of your choice they can arrange for you to be met at the airstrip, although most "town" dive centers aren't far to walk. If the dive center knows you're coming they'll either hold back a boat for you or ensure you can get on a dive promptly after you've arrived and completed basic paperwork.

If you arrive (as should be no problem) by 9am you'll have no difficulty doing two local dives and finishing by 1pm. Time for a relaxed beach lunch before catching a flight back (hourly on the hour). 3pm would certainly work, 4pm could, but you need to find definitively the latest time you must arrive on the dock for the tender back to the ship. As a disincentive to people doing their own thing (which loses the ship money) they often board those people before people who have been on "authorised" trips.

But 3pm would work perfectly well so long as you arrived in SP in time to go out on the first dive of the day, which generally leaves around 9am or not much later. August will be quiet here so there will be plenty of room for flexibility.

If you want to get more local information on SP, try Belize Vacations, Maps, Real Estate, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Tours and its various sub-pages. There is a very active discussion forum accessed by "Messages" near the bottom of the home page.

The Elbow on the South Turneffe is one of my favorite dives. Man, you are on a serious time limitation. South Turneffe is pretty far away. I remember many dive shops do three tanks there do to the distance. If it is possible I think The Elbow is the best around there, at least within reach for you. Good Luck!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom