Cruise Ship Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaBob

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to be in Cozumel on a cruise ship at the end of the month. I have not dove Cozumel in about 15 years and would like to take in a couple dives for the day the ship is in port. I have had notriously bad experiences with dive operators sponsored from cruise ships. I will carry my mask and fins (possibly regulator) but would need to rent the rest. Pick up and drop off at the ship will be necessary. Any enlightened suggestions as to a good operation and how I can contact them?

---Bob

ScubaBOBuba:
I am going to be in Cozumel on a cruise ship at the end of the month. I have not dove Cozumel in about 15 years and would like to take in a couple dives for the day the ship is in port. I have had notriously bad experiences with dive operators sponsored from cruise ships. I will carry my mask and fins (possibly regulator) but would need to rent the rest. Pick up and drop off at the ship will be necessary. Any enlightened suggestions as to a good operation and how I can contact them?

---Bob

Bob,

Pick-up and drop off from the ship is only permitted by the cruise ship operator, and even then it depends on which pier you come in on...we have three ship piers.

If you come in at the International pier, Dive with Martin has a shop very close by, but you will have to contact them to see if they can accommodate your ship arrival time.

If you don't come in at Puerta Maya or Punta Langosta, you will have to take a taxi somewhere to meet your boat at one of their designated pick-up spots OR dive with the cruise ship sponsored opertor.

If your ship arrives later than 8:00am, you may also find your choices extremely limited unless you leave late enough to do an afternoon dive or if you charter your own boat or have at least four people in your group.

Many logistical issues with cruise ship scheduling, so if you know your ship name and arrival time, you'll need to provide that to the operations you contact.

Out of curiosity, you say you last dove Cozumel 15 years ago...when was your last dive and how frequently do you dive. What type of diving do you like to do? Knowing your experience level and the type of diving you like will also help people make better suggestions towards sprcific operations for you...believe it or not....they're not all the same :)

Highly recommend chartering your own boat.

Don't dive from a cruise ship; the backroll might kill ya'! ;^)
(Sorry, back to the more serious comments...)

I did a cruise with the wife in May on Carnival out of Galveston......did use the ships 2-dive package in Cozumel,,,,,,not a bad gig. We did Santa Rosa Wall/90ft. and Paradise reef/45ft.. Small group of divers and a boat DM (Sand Dollar Sports was the charter). No cab ride and down time.....just walk off the ship and board the dive boat. I would recomm. it for the ease.

Gordon: LOL! I hope my tank will break the 10 story plunge!

To all: Thanks for the suggestions.

Christi: I sent you a PM regarding our travel plans. Thanks for the help.

---Bob

gjohnsto:
We are taking the same cruise in on August 21. Do you remember how much the ship charged for that dive?

The "Adventures Ashore" book says $99 per person (p53).

---Bob

I was on a cruise ship that stopped there last fall. Afternoon dives were all I could do. As I discovered after Labor Day it was slow and had trouble getting anyone to commit to an afternoon dive unless I had two people. Ended up going out with Dive Paradise. Was just myself and another diver. The other diver was a lady from Colorado who had bought a house in Cozumel she and her husband were remodeling. Took the afternoon off from remodeling to go diving. Otherwise it would have been just me and the DM.

I would book in advance with Dive Paradise. Did this - it was awesome. Did a day and a twilight dive. 4 divers on the boat. Great guide. Awesome dive. Don't go with the ship. You might want to kill yourself for having done something so dumb.
You can walk to them from your ship - not far. They will take care of you. But contact them in advance.
Any questions?
Coconut Girl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom