cruise ship divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

electrix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are on a cruise to Hawaii and diving is not offered onboard the ship. We arrive at Hilo on 3/21 at 8:00 AM, Honolulu 3/22 at 7:00AM, Kauai (Nowilliwilli) 8:00 AM and Maui (Lahaina) at 7:00 AM. Would like to get some diving in, open to suggestions, we will of course be at the pier where the Princess Cruise ships dock.

Thanks TR

Aloha TR,

How many are you? Do you need to rent gear? What is the experience level of your buddy(ies)? Lahaina Roadstead is an anchor location, not a docking; is 7 AM the earliest tender? Do you have any hopes as far as what kind of diving you would like to do?

Extended Horizons has the Carthaginian wreck scheduled for Thursdays; it is a 12:30 PM departure from Mala Ramp (just over a mile north of Lahaina Harbor).

Lahaina, HI - Google Maps

Looking at the map linked above, Lahaina Harbor is where the Best Western Pioneer Inn is located and Mala Ramp is near where the Old Lahaina Luau is located. Best to book that trip in advance, asap, as the trip only goes when enough divers sign up, and with your party booked a trip may book easier. If not enough divers sign up for the wreck, Extended would still probably be able to take you shore diving (conditions permitting), although your transportation to and fro the dive site(s) is perhaps taxis.

Check with Lahaina Divers, they may be able to accommodate you for a morning charter. They do both Lanai and the backwall of Molokini on Wednesdays (which is I think when you're on Maui). I know they used to do the cruise ship diving in the past, so they should be well versed in cruise ship timelines, etc.

You could talk to Gabe Scotti (scottitheduck here on SB) about diving in Honolulu. He dives lots from town side, and is a good operator.

Peace,
Greg

Check with Seasport Divers on Kauai. They're not in Nawilliwilli - I don't think anybody is - but a short drive south in Poipu. You'll miss their 7:30 boat but could go do a shoredive at Koloa Landing and be back in time for their 12:45 boat - assuming your departure is late enough - it is 2 dives. Koloa is one of the best dives in the area and they can provide a guide if needed.

The 12:45 boat is going to be beginners/new certs so although they will separate you by experience expect a shallower dive. Otoh, Sheraton Caverns just offshore is one of the best - we never broke 60' and saw lots of turtles. I'm pretty sure there were cruise divers on the boat that afternoon.

Rent a car - it would cost more to do it all by cab.

From Hilo I'd go look at the Volcanoes Nat'l Park.

Thanks for all the help! We would like to see a volcano, never seen a live one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom