Crotch-straps not on all BC's=RIDICULOUS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I definitely wanna make an upgrade when I have the money to do so...the BC I have now is a $350 seaquest jacket-style BC and it's pretty half-assed (but it gets the job done). Not sure if I'm going to switch to bp/w though; may end up getting the TransPac or something similar.

Well I can't speak for everybody buy my buddy just bought a TransPac and does not really like that much. It takes away from what a good BP/W will do and that is TOTALLY stabilize your tank and help with trim. A transpac is soft padding no better then a BC. He now is purchasing a steel back plate which has cost him more money in the long run.

Just another thought and humble opinion.

Well I can't speak for everybody buy my buddy just bought a TransPac and does not really like that much. It takes away from what a good BP/W will do and that is TOTALLY stabilize your tank and help with trim. A transpac is soft padding no better then a BC. He now is purchasing a steel back plate which has cost him more money in the long run.

Just another thought and humble opinion.

Thanks...once I have the money for an upgrade I'll have to look at everything more thoroughly and hopefully be able to try out some different rigs (including bp/w). Most everyone seems to be pro-steamlined and pro-backinflate but I've heard a few differing opinions when it come to bp's; some love them, some find them uncomfortable...having never used either I really don't know what to conclude. I'm planning to do a good amount of research before forking over several hundred dollars, so any input is appreciated.

It is just one of those things if you get to try one out before you buy it it will help. See about renting or borrowing one before you start buying something else.

Well I can't speak for everybody buy my buddy just bought a TransPac and does not really like that much. It takes away from what a good BP/W will do and that is TOTALLY stabilize your tank and help with trim. A transpac is soft padding no better then a BC.
Sorry your friend had to go through all that and realize he wasted his money.

Back over a decade ago, I knew my SP Classic was not right for me. This came on me slowly, but as I got more dives in, it was painfully obvious. Going back inflate bounced between the Transpac, SP (with whatever they called their version) and a BP/W. Luckily, a guy named Mike Kane loaned me one of his single tank rigs, and I never looked back.

It is funny, as the Transpac is a compelling piece of gear in the shop. No idea how it dives, and had frankly forgotten about it until you posted.

what would be ridiculous would be adding a crotch strap to all BCs. If they fit there's no need and if they don't fit it's just a bandaid.

I have taken the crotch strap off my BPW and it works fine. Much less hassle without it and I discovered that it wasn't really necessary for me.

I also have a Zeagle Express Tech and don't use a crotch strap with that either.

I have used a variety of BCs over the years and have never felt that a crotch strap would be of any benefit.

I guess under the Hogarthian principle of gear minimization if you find you don't actually need a crotch strap you shouldn't really be using it it. I accept though that some people do find it necessary for their rigs so they should stick with it (assuming they have tried without one to see if they really need it).

I do prefer to have a ditchable weight belt if possible. The likelihood of ditching it is very small, but not zero. Many diving fatalities involve dead divers on the bottom with weight belts still in place. In particular for towing an unconscious diver on the surface I would like to be able to ditch their belt readily. Additionally I think the likelihood of a belt falling off is slim if you have a good buckle. I had a resort owned belt come loose once but it was very obvious and I was able to rectify it before it actually came off. That is my only incident with a weight belt in over 30 years of diving.

I think the dead diver on the bottom, got there having drown at the surface
having not released weight in the few seconds it takes to pass the point of
inability.

Having been passed at rather more speed by the diver that unclipped a quality
buckle.

JB:
The only big difficulty is dropping the weight belt! How are you supposed to do this with a crotch strap?

A. Unbuckle your waist belt, release the crotch strap then ditch the weight belt.

B. Use a weight carrier system that allows you to drop the weight from the belt without removing the belt.

C. Weight your rig so that you don't need to carry ditchable weight.

Sound Like a good idea to have a crotch strap. That said, my integrated Zeagle Ranger LTD doesn't need one--at least for me. The weight in the pockets keep it stable and and in place.

I decided to replace my jacket BC with a Zeagle Express Tech and got the optional crotch strap.
That's the first thing I did to my Express Tech... I love it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom