Crotch-straps not on all BC's=RIDICULOUS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga 68 got the avid green thumb bit right.
They're dive "secateurs" shears that can cut through from line to cable.
I cut a teaspoon in half one day when a buddy wanted to share a cuppa.
Took me 20minutes and a pair of gloves to de encrust a weight belt out
of crevices another day, and as much as I love digging for junk and love
the dudes at the dive shops I frequent, I can't afford a pair of gloves every other day. Took about four dives and extra tools for an anchor another days.

Or fingertips as most of my gloves are 3 millimetres and fingerless.

EMT snips work perfectly well for line, leaders, and fine stainless.

I don't have to go back, "where was that unusual bit of a wreck"
any more.

The legal to take disassociated bits.

Very good.

Crotch strap on a non BP/w seems useless. If you like it and add it cool but most of us do just fine without one.

I found adding a crotch strap definitely helped with stabilizing my BCD. If I could do it all over again I would start with a BP/W set up. I will eventually go that route, but since I have not won the lottery yet it will have to wait.

For women the problem of shifting BCD is more of an issue due to our physique, aka pear shape. Some more so than others. It didn't matter how tight I cinched the lower buckle it just popped up.

I don't now why, but I thought "crotch strap=good" would be a universally agreed upon thing...how wrong I was. These were the issues I was having that the crotch-strap rectified: I didn't like putting my BC on really tight...if I put it on tight the movement would be fairly minimal but I didn't like the additional constriction. The crotch-strap allows me to wear the BC at a comfortable tightness without much rising or shifting. Also, my BC was more prone to shifting than most people's since I have a tank-mounted pony (side-mounted). Lastly, when looking in rocks/crevices/etc. sometimes I will be "feet up" to get a better look; before adding the crotch-strap I needed to put my hands behind my back and hold the tank, but now I don't need to do that.

Perhaps a better-fitting BC would render the crotch-strap unnecessary...but given that I don't have a spare $600 laying around, a $10 crotch-strap was a good solution.

I don't now why, but I thought "crotch strap=good" would be a universally agreed upon thing...how wrong I was. These were the issues I was having that the crotch-strap rectified: I didn't like putting my BC on really tight...if I put it on tight the movement would be fairly minimal but I didn't like the additional constriction. The crotch-strap allows me to wear the BC at a comfortable tightness without much rising or shifting. Also, my BC was more prone to shifting than most people's since I have a tank-mounted pony (side-mounted). Lastly, when looking in rocks/crevices/etc. sometimes I will be "feet up" to get a better look; before adding the crotch-strap I needed to put my hands behind my back and hold the tank, but now I don't need to do that.

Perhaps a better-fitting BC would render the crotch-strap unnecessary...but given that I don't have a spare $600 laying around, a $10 crotch-strap was a good solution.

I agree as an option and for you it sounds good. To make them Standard on all BC's like the Title of your thread implies is RIDICULUS.:rofl3::rofl3:

I didn't like putting my BC on really tight...if I put it on tight the movement would be fairly minimal but I didn't like the additional constriction. The crotch-strap allows me to wear the BC at a comfortable tightness without much rising or shifting. Also, my BC was more prone to shifting than most people's since I have a tank-mounted pony (side-mounted).
but given that I don't have a spare $600 laying around, a $10 crotch-strap was a good solution.

If I may when you do have some money doo look at a 1 piece harness (HOG) foe like a BP/W. It solved ALL my BC problems much like the ones you are having now. I feel like a fool for not trying it sooner. Look up DSS you can get a complete Rig for $475 and it beats the hell out of ANY BC out there.

A HOG harness will look like this on you and wont even feel like it is there in the water. So you wont have to worry about not wanting it tight.

Just a thought.

If I may when you do have some money doo look at a 1 piece harness (HOG) foe like a BP/W. It solved ALL my BC problems much like the ones you are having now. I feel like a fool for not trying it sooner. Look up DSS you can get a complete Rig for $475 and it beats the hell out of ANY BC out there.

A HOG harness will look like this on you and wont even feel like it is there in the water. So you wont have to worry about not wanting it tight.

Just a thought.

he looks slightly uncomfortable LOL

Reactions: MFZ
LOL, he does look uncomfortable. That is what a correctly BP/W looks like though

Edit- just because he looks odd in the pict, HOG harness are NOT uncomfortable.

Last edited:
he looks slightly uncomfortable LOL

Maybe but it is so comfortable in the water. Believe it or not it is a lot more comfortable out of the water even with doubles then a single tank is with a Jacket style BC. IMO

Just a thought.

Yeah, I definitely wanna make an upgrade when I have the money to do so...the BC I have now is a $350 seaquest jacket-style BC and it's pretty half-assed (but it gets the job done). Not sure if I'm going to switch to bp/w though; may end up getting the TransPac or something similar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom