Crotch strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with board shorts and no neoprene. The 2" crotch strap on my DSS rig has never caused any problems.

I've never tried diving the BP/W without the strap, so I can't tell you if it necessary or not for me.
DS

I have both the 1" and 2" straps, but prefer the 1".

You can make your own (one of each size). I bought all the parts necessary from REI (sporting goods store). Therefore, I suggest either borrowing a strap from someone to try out, or make your own.

Crotch straps are great. I have a 2 inch crotch strap and have had no problems. They add stability and better flotation on the surface. You can get padding for it or DUI can put a cloverleaf crotch pad on your suit.

Any chance you visit that little shop in 'Time Square?' Doubtful you'll get a strait answer on the bp/w issues. I've never once had it cross my mind that my crotch strap was uncomfortable. To put it in perspective divers who use scooters are attaching their scooters to the crotch strap and are basically being towed around the sea by their crotch. I've only had 'issues' with jewel crowding on the faster scoots like the Lithium Cuda's and such. I'm local, if you'd ever like to come around and have a look at a bp/w set up let me know.

One of my earliest memories of learning to dive was how painful the crotch strap was on a horse collar BC. I was ready to quit diving mid-class, and then I tried the SP Jacket - a really new concept back then. It was pain free and much more stable in the water, and eliminated that plate on my back which was almost as painful.

So I've been wondering from those that have been around long enough, is there a difference in the pain level from the horse collar BC and a BP/W setup? It is the one thing that keeps me from really considering one. My current BC is a SP Classic and it seems quite comfortable to me. So to me, its one discomfort vs another; Being more stable by strapping the BC to myself in a painful way, or floating free literally and figuratively.

I have a 1" strap on an old SeaTec BC that always seemed to attempt to, uhh, "divide and conquer" in my 3mm but was okay in my 7mm. The 2" strap on my BP/W hasn't been a problem with either wetsuit.

One of my earliest memories of learning to dive was how painful the crotch strap was on a horse collar BC. I was ready to quit diving mid-class, and then I tried the SP Jacket - a really new concept back then. It was pain free and much more stable in the water, and eliminated that plate on my back which was almost as painful.

So I've been wondering from those that have been around long enough, is there a difference in the pain level from the horse collar BC and a BP/W setup? It is the one thing that keeps me from really considering one. My current BC is a SP Classic and it seems quite comfortable to me. So to me, its one discomfort vs another; Being more stable by strapping the BC to myself in a painful way, or floating free literally and figuratively.

Yes, I remember those days. I used to take the crotch strap off of my horse collar BC. I would then pass the waist strap behind my back under my wetsuit's beaver tail to prevent vest float up. The main reason I was reluctant to try a BP&W was because of the wretched crotch strap. However, after seeing a few friends dive with the BP&W sans crotch strap, I decided to give it a try. I'm happy to report that I like it very much; but I haven't used a crotch strap as most of my diving has been in warm water with little or no inflation in my wing. This is the sort of change in equipment one should make after borrowing the setup from a friend. One person may be very bothered by something like this strap between the legs threatening the family jewels, where another may not take any notice at all.

Floating free,

Couv

I agree with idocsteve. I have(had) one but never used it. I just make sure my waist belt is tight and I don't have any problems with "riding up". Then again, I never overinflate by bc on the surface. Just enough so my head is out.

Sometimes you just have to have those days where the bad news just rolls on along costing $,$$$.¢¢

I went to the LDS to try on and purchase Fourth Element thermals. The night before trying on my DUI TLS350 without thermals I noticed my 8 year old SP BC Jacket felt a little tight and I could not reach my exhaust valve. I also noticed I could not get my foot all the way into the fin pockets.

So at the not so LDS they confirm my poor fitting gear. $1800 later that is all fixed. New XL SP Jet Fins (those were my first fins in the 70's), Fourth Element 3 layers (Arctic, Xerotherm, and Drybase), and an Halcyon Infinity BP/W. Plus some misc. stuff to round it up to the total.

I added the Weighted Single-Tank Adapter with 6 lbs and the back-plate is SS and 6 lbs. The store owner/instructor says to start with 18lbs plus the plate and adapter. That's just about 30 lbs. My 7mm farmer john with jacket took 24lbs (HP S80 tank) and he said add 5 or so to that. I know he really knows his stuff and says my thermals are probably the difference not accounted for in my estimate using the spreadsheet from selytch but that seems like a lot to me. I have a pool session with him next week to go over the DS and BP/W. Then it's to a friends pool later that week for more practice - he is also an instructor.

The good news, I have some nice new toys.

The bad news, $1800 more spent and a crotch strap.:shocked2:

I wonder how my LDS feels about me driving an hour and change to spend over 5k on gear at a NSLDS in the last few months? That will teach them to be rude!:mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom