Critter ID Help Needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coll

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So these are a few of my favorite shots from a recent dive to the Metridium fields in Monterey, CA. I was hoping you kind folks would be so wonderful as to help me identify the three subjects, I framed the pictures and would like to write beneath the frame the name and latin name of each animal. I p \osted these pictures before just to show off so I have had some help in identification but I want to make sure I have the right names before I hang the photos! Thank you folks so much for the continued help!

I believe the orange one is an Orange Sea Cucumber (Cucumaria Miniata)
Sarita75 is of the opinion that the white nudi is either a shaggy mouse nudi or a Pearly nudi
and as for the yellow nudi, I believe it is a Doris Montereyensis but I've been wrong plenty of other times.

Attachments

• small red.jpg
    small red.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 69
  • small white.jpg
    small white.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 66
  • small yellow.jpg
    small yellow.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 63
Coll
I think the first one is a basket star, don't believe it is a cucumber. The white nudibranch is Aeolidia papillosa, and I think you are right about the yellow nubibranch, that looks like Doris montereyensis. ++Ken++

Coll
I think the first one is a basket star, don't believe it is a cucumber. The white nudibranch is Aeolidia papillosa, and I think you are right about the yellow nubibranch, that looks like Doris monereyensis. ++Ken++

Looks more like the feeding apparatus of a sea cucumber. A basket star would show the typical articulated structure of hard parts, resembling stacked coins. The structure in the picture suggests the tissue is soft tissue without hard parts and no articulating joints.

This is the problem I've been having with the orange one. Some think it's a sea cucumber and some thing it's a basket star. Thank you guys for your help!

When was the first one taken - day or night. Was the critter on soft coral or elsewhere. Basket Stars open at night and are almost if not always on soft coral, aren't they?

Sue

All the pictures were taken during the day, the "basket star" was on a rock. Doesn't sound like what you claim is basket star behavior, darn it! I was convinced I had it!

The first one I don't think it any type of basket star. I would definitely say something like the feeding tenticles of a filter feeding cucumber or perhaps something like a sea apple. The second looks to me to be a berghia nudi. a type that only feeds on aiptasia anemones. The third, I have no idea. A nudi or flatworm of some type.

Coll
I stand corrected. Not a basket star. I wandered around my marine invertebrate books a little bit and the other posters are correct, it is the feeding woogers of a cucumber.
++Ken++

Back
Top Bottom