Critique & Ideas on this harness and wing setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The official responses from Oxycheq:

Question:
"The travel plate wouldn't be "floppy" under the load of the Steel 100 or Steel 120? "
Answer:
"If you are referring to the Ultra Lite Plate, that wraps around the cylinder and the harness can be made extremely secure."

Question:
"my mistake - my question was in reference to your ultralite plate. I asked because I was thinking of getting an oxycheq rig with the ultralite plate for my dives in South Florida with a Steel 100 or 120, but read online posts that it may not be such a good idea?...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5405364-post13.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5405368-post39.html "

Answer:
"In the one thread, the guy put weights on the cam straps instead of using weight pockets.

In the other thread, the guy mentions the larger cylinder moving around. Not sure how that is happening because the cam straps lock the tank to the plate and the harness locks in tighter than a Hog harness does."

Question:
"I'll get the Ultralite plate then - I just need to avoid putting weights on cam straps? I should be able to slap on a steel 120 with no issues? For tropical diving (with a large tank) the aluminum plates would offer no advantages over the ultralite except for the 2 lbs off my weight belt?"
Answer:
"If the cam straps and harness is snug, I see no reason why it would not hold that size cylinder. Certainly, it will feel different on your back than a plate.

Advantages of an AL plate is that it will last forever. Adantages of the UL plate are ... lighter, less expensive and the harness system actually fits much better than a Hogarthian harness. It is also easier to get on and off and much easier to adjust going from one type of thermal protection to another. "

I'm pretty sure that a soft back plate will never be more stable a platform than a rigid black plate nor is it suitable for doubles. I rather get a hard back plate any day.

SangP

Bob,

I didn't mean to sound so negative about the travel plate. I like it. I just wanted you to know that it isn't going to be as stable as a hard plate. The more negative the tank, the less stable it will feel. I've been diving with a steel plate and wing for a number of years and really notice the difference. I get used to it after a few dives but it's still there.

You save about 2lbs carrying it instead of an aluminum plate which may be critical to meeting baggage limitations. It's a good travel option. I have two. One for my wife and one for me.

Bob,

I didn't mean to sound so negative about the travel plate. I like it. I just wanted you to know that it isn't going to be as stable as a hard plate. The more negative the tank, the less stable it will feel. I've been diving with a steel plate and wing for a number of years and really notice the difference. I get used to it after a few dives but it's still there.

You save about 2lbs carrying it instead of an aluminum plate which may be critical to meeting baggage limitations. It's a good travel option. I have two. One for my wife and one for me.

Thanks, I think I will just get an AL plate then to start with, when I know traveling will be heading my way, I'll pickup the fabric plate.

Thanks,

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom