Critique & Ideas on this harness and wing setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again for everyone's input! Very valid argument about if she would like wings more than a jacket (or for that matter if she even would like this setup)....I just found a place that rents out back inflates (fillexpress.com) - so we'll be trying those out on the next dive. I just wanted to get her bcd sooner rather than later, since she's kinda an odd size I don't really foresee her ever renting properly fitted bcs to try out.

I got the basically the same rig for my wife with the exception that it was a Razor wing (no longer in production) and that it was black. The soft plate is a little floppy compared to an aluminum one but is about 2 lbs lighter. She doesn't mind but it kind of bugs me a little. I saw the pink wings at Scubatoys the other day and I gotta question the use of the hot pink webbing. I think it will clash with the light pink of the wing. I would go with black or purple webbing unless you could find light pink. :)

It looks like you're getting it worked out. I wouldn't sacrifice the stability of a metal plate, though, as you would be giving up a major advantage of the BP/W. I fly with my SS plate all the time, and and an aluminum one weighs only a couple of pounds, and packs nearly flat.

It looks like you're getting it worked out. I wouldn't sacrifice the stability of a metal plate, though, as you would be giving up a major advantage of the BP/W. I fly with my SS plate all the time, and and an aluminum one weighs only a couple of pounds, and packs nearly flat.

The OP specifically stated "tropics" but of course then followed up with 7mm of neoprene which would never be worn in the tropics.

If he is buying this for her for temperate water use, 7mm of neoprene, get a metal plate and the Oxy 30, if he truly is buying this for tropical use, 3mm neoprene full suit or LESS then the Oxy 18 with the Oxy Ultra Light fabric plate is the bomb.

The "stability" thing is way over rated. These small wings and fabric plates are designed for aluminum 80 tanks, which are what one will find for rental/guest use at nearly 100% of tropical destinations. There is NO instability until you start putting a lot of weight on the plate via a heavy steel tank or lot's of weight on the cambands. If you start putting a lot of weight in weight pockets on the cambands the rig will tend to roll a bit, why would you need to do this in the tropics? I use 3 to 6 pounds in my DR pockets wearing 3mm shorts and top, my wife uses 6 to 8 with her 1.5mm jump suit or 3mm shorty. How much weight you want to put on there?

Several, in fact most, new travel vests/jackets/back inflates use fabric or soft plates, the Oxy fabric plate works very similar to those, actually a bit more solid feeling. For light weight, travel friendly use, the Oxy 18 and Oxy Ultra Light plate are great, for heavy duty tech use with negative steel tanks, look into something else.

The real question here for the OP is travel friendly SP Equator vs AL Zuma vs Oxy 18 and Oxy Ultra Light plate. I would probably get her the Zuma.

Anyways, good luck to the OP and friend.

N

The OP specifically stated "tropics" but of course then followed up with 7mm of neoprene which would never be worn in the tropics.

If he is buying this for her for temperate water use, 7mm of neoprene, get a metal plate and the Oxy 30, if he truly is buying this for tropical use, 3mm neoprene full suit or LESS then the Oxy 18 with the Oxy Ultra Light fabric plate is the bomb.

The "stability" thing is way over rated. These small wings and fabric plates are designed for aluminum 80 tanks, which are what one will find for rental/guest use at nearly 100% of tropical destinations. There is NO instability until you start putting a lot of weight on the plate via a heavy steel tank or lot's of weight on the cambands. If you start putting a lot of weight in weight pockets on the cambands the rig will tend to roll a bit, why would you need to do this in the tropics? I use 3 to 6 pounds in my DR pockets wearing 3mm shorts and top, my wife uses 6 to 8 with her 1.5mm jump suit or 3mm shorty. How much weight you want to put on there?

Several, in fact most, new travel vests/jackets/back inflates use fabric or soft plates, the Oxy fabric plate works very similar to those, actually a bit more solid feeling. For light weight, travel friendly use, the Oxy 18 and Oxy Ultra Light plate are great, for heavy duty tech use with negative steel tanks, look into something else.

The real question here for the OP is travel friendly SP Equator vs AL Zuma vs Oxy 18 and Oxy Ultra Light plate. I would probably get her the Zuma.

Anyways, good luck to the OP and friend.

N

Yep will be using this most likely strictly in the tropics area (South Florida) - don't really foresee doing any temperate/cold water diving with her. However she does get cold easily (she had to wear a 3mm for a 84 degree 60' dive today) and if shes really gun ho crazy about diving, she may want to do it in the winter (low 70s here)...she will probably need a 5mm if not a 7mm....

Biggest tank she would probably use with it are AL 80s...may break down and get steel 80s though...Cam bands would just hold 1lb weights to help her trim (assuming shes not using a metal back plate and no steel tank). Was thinking maybe an aluminum plate (that was powder coated pink ;-)), but then may have to get her a pad and not sure how that would work out...

Bob01,

I wish you best of luck getting em pink 30 lbs wing cus they were a limited production n only a few were sent to some stores.

I wanted to get a royal blue wing for my gf but the store was out of stock.

I would also rather get a dive rite cam bands as the oxycheq's ones are a tad heavy.

Since, caveadventurers are about about a stone's throw from oxycheq you might want to give Edd a call to see if he can get you a package deal rather then getting bits n pieces.

As for the wetsuit, a 7mm is real pain to get in and out of. Your gf can get a full 3mm suit with a gold core n add a hooded vest for added warmth.

SangP

I notice that the 1.5" crotchstrap is considerably cheaper than the 2" strap. Any significant disadvantage?

as a woman, every time I read something like this it makes me cringe. She should be deciding what she wants. "Showing her the setup for her blessing before ordering" doesn't pass in my book.

I don't see the problem with what the OP is doing or what you being a woman has to do with how you interpret his post. When my partner was trying diving I set up all his gear for him as I know what I am doing and he did not. Once it was set up I went through it with him. It is helpful to have someone more experienced show you things.

Back
Top Bottom