Critique & Ideas on this harness and wing setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious - If I were to go down the metal plate route - when is it "uncomfortable" to have a piece of metal against your back - is it when your doing the dive or when walking to the shore dive location? Both?

Also, I noticed quite a few "pads" do not actually seem to have padding, instead they have pockets for a liftbag and or a Sausage. Doesn't seem all that comfortable? In the event of an emergecy, you would have to take off your rig in order to get to them?

For the Deluxe Harness vs Hog Harness (w/ shoulder pads)- is there really that much of a comfort difference between the two? All that you really get in advantage with the deluxe harness is that detachable clips for each shoulder strap?

Visibility question (for when I get a wing...maybe soon ;-)): With the color options of Dark Blue, Purple, Red, Camo - which of these would be the most visible at a depth of say...60 feet? I would think they would all look black at that depth, or for that mater at 30 feet? I was amazed at how much the gf's neon pink mask strap just glowed at 60' Was also suprised how well neon yellow tanks could be seen as well.

Thanks again for all your help!,

Bob

Just curious - If I were to go down the metal plate route - when is it "uncomfortable" to have a piece of metal against your back - is it when your doing the dive or when walking to the shore dive location? Both?

Neither, actually. Using one with just a rash guard may call for padding on the shoulder harness or may not. The lightest I dive in is a 1mm neoprene shirt and the plate isn't uncomfortable at all. Now if you leave it sitting in the sun for an hour or so and strap it on to a bare back you may feel some discomfort. :)

For the most part, the padding is unnecessary and just requires more lead to sink. The first time I set a rig up, I bought the deluxe harness. Just used webbing and hardware since then.

Also, I noticed quite a few "pads" do not actually seem to have padding, instead they have pockets for a liftbag and or a Sausage. Doesn't seem all that comfortable? In the event of an emergecy, you would have to take off your rig in order to get to them?

For the Deluxe Harness vs Hog Harness (w/ shoulder pads)- is there really that much of a comfort difference between the two? All that you really get in advantage with the deluxe harness is that detachable clips for each shoulder strap?

Visibility question (for when I get a wing...maybe soon ;-)): With the color options of Dark Blue, Purple, Red, Camo - which of these would be the most visible at a depth of say...60 feet? I would think they would all look black at that depth, or for that mater at 30 feet? I was amazed at how much the gf's neon pink mask strap just glowed at 60' Was also suprised how well neon yellow tanks could be seen as well.

Thanks again for all your help!,

Bob

A plate is even more comfortable than a lot of jackets I've tried simply cus it is so snug to your body that the tank won't move about and even with just a tee, it's just as comfy.

As for the straps, just stick with regular harness without the padding for speed of drying and unless you're carrying 3 or more tanks it should be fine.

Lastly, red is the colour that is the first to go underwater but it is also one of the most visible above water... in case you ever drift too far.

SangP

I've used my Halcyon BP/W and one-piece harness with a T-shirt in warm water without issue. It was in Bonaire, and I don't think it was Thousand Steps, but it was on a couple of the longer approaches on the north end.

ok...so now thinking about getting this rig for myself (thinking maybe red/yellow...or maybe red/black...maybe blue...still gotta decide :p)...anyway...would anyone know if the travel plate is suitable for steel 120s?

It's not suitable for doubles. It's just a fabric plate. It's somewhat floppy with a single 80. Steels get more floppy. There is no structural integrity to support two tanks.

Well, you still have a big piece of metal against your back, regardless of the type of BC, namely the tank. The difference is, with a metal plate, it spreads the contact of the tank over a large, relatively flat area on your back. This is much more comfortable, and stable, than having the cylinder against your spine. I realize that soft BCs use padding to mitigate this, but it's still not nearly as solid as the plate.

It's not suitable for doubles. It's just a fabric plate. It's somewhat floppy with a single 80. Steels get more floppy. There is no structural integrity to support two tanks.

Sorry wasn't more clear this would just be for a single tank. But I guess if its floppy with a single steel 80, going with a single steel 120 would be horribly floppy.... guess I'll be looking at AL plates now...

My mistake. Somehow I read doubled 120's but that's definitely not what you wrote. I have used single HP100's with my soft plate. It was okay but they are more negative than AL by several pounds and seemed to move around quite a bit. I think they are fine for AL80's and probably steel 72's. I'm not sure I would like it for anything bigger. It's really a travel plate and most travel destinations seem to have 80's.

The official responses from Oxycheq:

Question:
"The travel plate wouldn't be "floppy" under the load of the Steel 100 or Steel 120? "
Answer:
"If you are referring to the Ultra Lite Plate, that wraps around the cylinder and the harness can be made extremely secure."

Question:
"my mistake - my question was in reference to your ultralite plate. I asked because I was thinking of getting an oxycheq rig with the ultralite plate for my dives in South Florida with a Steel 100 or 120, but read online posts that it may not be such a good idea?...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5405364-post13.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5405368-post39.html "

Answer:
"In the one thread, the guy put weights on the cam straps instead of using weight pockets.

In the other thread, the guy mentions the larger cylinder moving around. Not sure how that is happening because the cam straps lock the tank to the plate and the harness locks in tighter than a Hog harness does."

Question:
"I'll get the Ultralite plate then - I just need to avoid putting weights on cam straps? I should be able to slap on a steel 120 with no issues? For tropical diving (with a large tank) the aluminum plates would offer no advantages over the ultralite except for the 2 lbs off my weight belt?"
Answer:
"If the cam straps and harness is snug, I see no reason why it would not hold that size cylinder. Certainly, it will feel different on your back than a plate.

Advantages of an AL plate is that it will last forever. Adantages of the UL plate are ... lighter, less expensive and the harness system actually fits much better than a Hogarthian harness. It is also easier to get on and off and much easier to adjust going from one type of thermal protection to another. "

Back
Top Bottom