Critique & Ideas on this harness and wing setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't care for the 2" crotch strap. It's too wide and rubs too much against my inner thighs.

Fanny floss...

hmmm....didn't really consider either circumstance for the crotch strap...assuming the harness on the shoulders and waist are tight enough, the floss issue shouldn't happen? Though 2" does seem kinda wide, and sounds like it would rub horribly if she was just wearing a swimsuit....well luckily in either case they are removable...;-)

Unless you're using hard shoulder harness for the crotch strap you won't feel anything. I use the soft halcyon crotch n I prefer it for the comfort and support it gives.

The 1" is a floss, the 1.5" isn't much better.

A soft wide crotch strap is the best way to keep the rig secure without over tightening the straps. You could also add a chest strap to make things nice n snug.

SangP

Consider this:
Oxycheq Color Travel Plate & Wing with harness and cambands [OCcolorplatewing] - $357.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!
only thing you may want to add are two pink oxycheq weight pockets and ask ed if he has pink webbing to replace the black webbing. he should throw in the 2 sex bolts for free. the plastic cam bands come with rubber stitched onto them. the pads u will have to add on as well or if u can forgot a pink harness consider the oxycheq delux harness, will make adjsutment easier and come swith all the d-rings. i would also recommend a trifold oxycheq pocket as they come in handy.

hmmm....didn't really consider either circumstance for the crotch strap...assuming the harness on the shoulders and waist are tight enough, the floss issue shouldn't happen? Though 2" does seem kinda wide, and sounds like it would rub horribly if she was just wearing a swimsuit....well luckily in either case they are removable...;-)

When I was first certified, crotch straps on the horse collar BCs and beaver tails on the wetsuits was the norm. Needless to say, I was not excided about revisiting the discomfort of my youth. Tobin at DSS suggested their two inch as an option (which I purchased).

The trick is the material. You don't want to use anything close to the stiff sort of webbing you use for the rest of your kit. Personally, I suggest 2" and very soft -- something like the DSS (Deep Sea Supply) strap. There is a real advantage to having the scooter ring that is included -- it helps you swing the strap up...

I am an odd shape as well and personally I will never dive without a crotch strap again. The thing makes the rig solid in a way that I just love. And, I don't really notice it at all when using it.

One other observation: Setting up a BP/W takes a few dives to dial in. If found that you needed to have the shoulder straps tighter than I initially thought they needed to be and the crotch looser than I initially thought.

And to clarify: I mostly use my rig with AL 80 (or smaller) cylinders and no exposure suit.

Last edited:
I use the one inch on my Ultralight and it is just fine, in fact, perfect.

On my larger wings I use the two inch stuff, not needed for a "swimsuit" wing.

What the OP asked for was a tropical wing, I would not draw parallels between equipment designed for minimal exposure suits, tropical conditions and aluminum 80 "resort" tanks and heavy duty tech wing/BP rigs.

N

Consider this:
Oxycheq Color Travel Plate & Wing with harness and cambands [OCcolorplatewing] - $357.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!
only thing you may want to add are two pink oxycheq weight pockets and ask ed if he has pink webbing to replace the black webbing. he should throw in the 2 sex bolts for free. the plastic cam bands come with rubber stitched onto them. the pads u will have to add on as well or if u can forgot a pink harness consider the oxycheq delux harness, will make adjsutment easier and come swith all the d-rings. i would also recommend a trifold oxycheq pocket as they come in handy.

Thanks! Awesome deal - just as good as the one from North Eastern...
http://northeastscubasupply.com/store/backplate-and-wings/oxycheq-travel-package/cat_493.html

...actually the Cave Adventurers is a better deal since they give you two cam straps vs. just one from northeastern...
The only con is that they are kinda far away, so probably no pickup unless we do a roadtrip...and sales tax... :p

Last edited:
In the first post I mentioned a 30lb wing configuration. Mostly because it didn't look much bigger than the 18#. Thinking more about it, Im judging this just from stock pictures of the items, not side by side...can anyone chime on this? If there isn't that much a size difference, I would think a bladder with more lift would be better?

In the first post I mentioned a 30lb wing configuration. Mostly because it didn't look much bigger than the 18#. Thinking more about it, Im judging this just from stock pictures of the items, not side by side...can anyone chime on this? If there isn't that much a size difference, I would think a bladder with more lift would be better?

Well, if you get the 30# wing you won't have to buy a new one when you realize that you want to dive northern California :wink:

Bob01,

I wish you best of luck getting em pink 30 lbs wing cus they were a limited production n only a few were sent to some stores.

Scubatoys had the numerous pink ones in stock (18 and 30#) as recently as this past Saturday.

Scubatoys had the numerous pink ones in stock (18 and 30#) as recently as this past Saturday.

For those of you looking at a similar kit (maybe not in pink though :p), Joe from Scubatoys can do the same traveler package (with 30# wings) for a little less than N.E.S.S. or Cave Adventurers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom