Critique & Ideas on this harness and wing setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

My gf is finishing up her OW this weekend. Now I am on the hunt for (pink) equipment...after using a jacket bc for a while (and realizing all its shortcomings), I think I want to set her up with a harness & wing setup (then myself after my BC wears out :p). After viewing this video, it looks pretty easy to set one up?

Dailymotion - Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator (BC) Video Review - a College video

This would be for a female diver, approx 5' tall, 108 lbs, tanks may include AL 63, Al 80 and maybe steel 80. Most likely almost exclusively in the tropics, with 5-7mm the most exposure protection used.

Would the following shopping list cover everything I need to have a proper BCD setup?

Wing:
thinking 30lb, as its not much bigger than the 18lb...
Backplate and Wings - Wings - OxyCheq Wings - 30# OxyCheq Single Tank Wings - 30# Mach V OxyCheq Wing - Pink - Northeast Scuba Supply
pinkwing.jpg

Backplate:
Lightweight backpack vs metal backplate...thinking the trim advantage of the metal backplate can be acquired with tank strap weights? There may be times when long walks will occur - A pad shouldn't be needed for this "soft" plate?
Backplate and Wings - Backplates - Hybrid and Travel Backplates - OxyCheq Ultralite Travel Backpack - Pink - Northeast Scuba Supply
092-390.jpg

Harness/Webbing:
Might as well stick with the pink motif...15 feet should be adequate?
Webbing, Tubing & Cordage - Webbing - 2'' Stiff Webbing - 2'' Stiff Webbing - Pink - Northeast Scuba Supply
pink.jpg

Buckle
Stainless steel buckle
Crazy John Specials - Dive Rite S/S Weight Buckle - Northeast Scuba Supply
WeightBuckle.jpg

Wing Screws
Not sure how many of these I need? 2, 4, 6?
Backplate and Wings - Backplate Accessories - Bookscrews - Sex Bolts - S/S Wing Screw - Northeast Scuba Supply
054-401.jpg

Chest/Sternum Strap
They are all pretty much the same?
Backplate and Wings - Backplate Accessories - Other Items - Dive Rite Chest Strap - Northeast Scuba Supply
chest_strapt.jpg

D-Rings
4-6 should be enough?
Clips & Fittings - D-Rings - 2" S/S D-Ring - Northeast Scuba Supply
HW1062__FNL.jpg

Weight belt keepers
2 for every D ring?
Clips & Fittings - D-Rings - 2" S/S Non-Serrated Keeper - Northeast Scuba Supply
HW1020-a_FNL.jpg

Shoulder Pads
May have some long hauls on the shore dives
Backplate and Wings - Backplate Accessories - Shoulder Pads - OxyCheq Shoulder - Northeast Scuba Supply
oxycheqshoulderpads.png

Cam Bands
Do I need to get two?
Backplate and Wings - Cam Bands - OxyCheq S/S Cam Band - Northeast Scuba Supply
092-042.jpg

Tank Grips
Backplate and Wings - Cam Bands - Cam Band Tank Grip Pad - Northeast Scuba Supply
001-067.jpg

Pockets
Something that would work with 2" webbing on the waist?
Buy Zeagle Quick Pocket at northeastscubasupply.com - Pockets - Zeagle Pockets - Zeagle Quick Pocket - Northeast Scuba Supply
Quick%20Pocket.jpg

Tank Band Weights
2 for one bad...or maybe 4 for both bands?
XS Scuba Single Tank Weight Pocket
XSSTW.JPG

She has a weight belt....so this should all cover it to make a fully functional BCD? All screws, nuts, d-rings covered?

Thanks,

Bob

\\ update -- will ask North East Scuba Supply about a removable crotch strap

Last edited:
You don't really need the chest strap or webbing pads, and I recommend a crotch strap (2inches wide). This will stop the rig from riding up and add to in water stability. I'm also a fan of a proper all metal plate. Halcyon, DSS and a few others make a short plate that might be perfect. Weight closer to the center of gravity will be more stable than weight on tank cam-bands.

Is this a gift? You might want to consult with her on some of this stuff, just in case.

Rather than buying a bunch of bits and pieces, why not talk to the guys at Northeast Scuba Supply and have them put the package together for you. I'm sure they could work in a pink Oxycheq wing and some pink webbing, and they would probably save you some money too. They've been one of my favorite on-line dive shops over the last few years.

Its a good start, but personally i would opt for:
1.) an aluminum BP, its not as uncomfortable as it seems and pretty light weight but then again i've never tried a soft plate like that one.
2.) a crotch strap is very useful in a BP/W rig, doesn't have to be super tight just helps hold everything in place and only cost abt 10 bucks so def get one of those. she can always take it off if she hates it.
3.) Wing screws aren't actually needed, the cam bands will hold it tight enough when the tank is on, but when the tank is off the wing will hang loose so the wing nuts are nice, go for plastic ones though bc metal ones can scratch the tank finish
4.) 4-6 D rings only if you add the crotch strap other wise 3-4 will be plenty, one on each sholder and 1 or 2 on the hip, and if you get the crotch strap one in the front and one in the back.
5.) you only need one weight keeper for each D-ring
6.) the chest strap is not needed and doesn't do much. makes getting out in a hurry difficult
7.) I prefer two cam bands seems a little more stable to me, the dive rite ones have the tank grippers built on i think.
8.) good call with the weight pockets on the cam straps those work well, two should be plenty if shes wearing a weight belt.

The pink is pretty cool...might have to hook my GF up with one of these in the near future. Good luck and hope this helps maybe some other people will chime in if ive missed something.

Rather than buying a bunch of bits and pieces, why not talk to the guys at Northeast Scuba Supply and have them put the package together for you. I'm sure they could work in a pink Oxycheq wing and some pink webbing, and they would probably save you some money too. They've been one of my favorite on-line dive shops over the last few years.

Looks like they already have a Oxycheq travel package:
Backplate and Wings - OxyCheq Travel Package - Northeast Scuba Supply
Just sent John an E-mail about upgrading to the 30# wing, and a few other options...I kinda want to get the red setup for myself...but alas...don't see that happening in the near future...

You don't really need the chest strap or webbing pads, and I recommend a crotch strap (2inches wide). This will stop the rig from riding up and add to in water stability. I'm also a fan of a proper all metal plate. Halcyon, DSS and a few others make a short plate that might be perfect. Weight closer to the center of gravity will be more stable than weight on tank cam-bands.

Is this a gift? You might want to consult with her on some of this stuff, just in case.

Sometimes to get to shore diving spots here, we have to walk upwards of 4 blocks or more with all of our gear on (get lots of weird looks crossing streets)...while I don't think (2) 2" webbing would dig too much into her shoulders, for the majority of the dive season we just wear rashguards...so thinking some padding would be nice...I'll show her the setup for her blessing before ordering, but I already know shes going to be put off that this is being put together rather than the standard pre-assembled, mfg warranty BCD - seeing a chunk of metal on the back would probably freak her out...

K, I'll give you that. I was thinking she'd be in a wetsuit more often. But ya, for a long walk on bare (or almost bare) shoulders, a bit of padding would be nice.

... I think I want to set her up with ...
as a woman, every time I read something like this it makes me cringe. She should be deciding what she wants. "Showing her the setup for her blessing before ordering" doesn't pass in my book.

Going down the list of the OP:
a) You need only one tri-glide (weight keeper) per d-ring. (webbing comes from under the tri-glide, through one slot, through the base of the d-ring, and back down the other slot). But, you may need a few more tri-glides (where the webbing meets the plate).
b) You might consider some slightly bent d-rings as they are easier to clip into.
c) Skip the sternum strap. Add a two-inch wide crotch strap. These are a must and are way more comfortable than one would ever think!
d) The trim advantage of the plate is best obtained by getting a SS plate, if that is appropriate. Again, way more comfortable than one would ever dream! Mine (fits well) is more comfortable than any BC I have ever worn.
e) Two cams, not one.
f) Two sets of the sex bolts
g) Buy the shoulder pads. Try the first dive without them. After that dive, either isntall them or return them unopened. Really.
h) I love the Oxy Mach V.
i) I would get a few marine bolt snaps (perhaps a single end and two double ends) and a bit of cave line. That will help you attach any bits and bots. For example, you can take the cave line and attach the round end of the bolts snap to the HP hose near the gauge. Now, that can be clipped off easily. Do not use gate clips.

An alternative: start with a place like DSS. I have a DSS T-17# wing, hog harness and SS plate and love it. It all came as a kit and all I needed to add was a few bolt snaps. They have great customer services! I also own the 30# Mach V wing and love it as well.

You're a pretty switched on kinda dude.
I walk miles to and fro in a rashy through bush and the neo pads are a must.
I install a chest strap to carry my wetsuit through and over and to lean on and stuff my big water bottle. I also clip it through my fin straps for entries and exits.
Looks like a cool set up. Great surprise present.
Pink is my first choice for webbing but I just bought one with blue squiggles through it.
Many happy wetnesses.

Since I have that exact equipment I might answer.

For warm water, the 18 pound wing is fine, for temperate water, get the 30 but then there I might recommend a metal plate if using more than 3mm neoprene full suits.

Yes you need two tank straps, I do not use the grommet slots on the plate, I run the tank straps through webbing on the back of the plate. Yes, the plate is intended for one strap but it has webbing on the back for two.

No, I don't use a sternum strap but a woman might need one. The soft plate will just bunch up if you try the metal plate trick of crossing the shoulder straps to reduce shoulder strap spread.

You probably need 4 of the "sex" screws, one at each of the holes in the wing and plate, if you use the dual cambands and the webbing on the back of the plate for them.

The Oxy shoulder pads are very nice.

You need only one keeper per D ring but I also used them at the waist belt where it exits the the keepers on the plate to lock the waist strap, same at the shoulder as well, so you need eight total I think, maybe get a couple of extra.

I am currently using two of the 8 pound each Dive Rite weight integration pockets on the waist strap, I use a one inch crotch strap, I use a single XS weight pocket on my left shoulder strap for my spool under my arm. I do not recommend the weight pockets on the tank straps except for trim weight-why--because the fabric plate will become unstable and the tank will roll side to side.

The steel buckle will do fine.

No, my wing/plate is not rigged per Oxy instructions because I could not get it to work per their instructions so I did it my way and it has done fine for many dives now for several years. This is an excellent warm water travel rig--don't let them talk you into a stainless plate, it is not needed for warm water diving.

If you use plastic keepers, buckles, plastic D rings you can save some weight, depends on what is important to you.

I am wearing it here, you can see the XS pocket under my right arm with my spool, the Oxy shoulder pads etc. You see, not everybody wears a full drysuit for every dive, the shoulder pads definitely add comfort and eliminate bruising of my shoulders.

_C160137.jpg

In this photo you can see that I do not have my spool stowed in my pocket, lol, I got in a hurry and just clipped it, you can also see the DR pocket (empty) on one of my cambands for my DR LED750 light, rather than on my waist strap.

IMG_0107-1_edited-2.jpg

In addition to my camera tether on my crotch strap D ring, you can see the left DR weight pocket jut under my left arm.

IMG_0762_edited-2.jpg

How do you know she might not prefer a jacket or a back inflate, my wife hates wing/bp and thinks they are ridiculous contraptions.

N

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom