Crete, Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We went back in October and visited these guys: http://www.kalypsodivingcenter.com/

I did a couple of shore dives which were nice. Of course, Crete doesn't offer famous tropical diving. But any places new to me need to be investegated, so I bought "the package". No complaint from me on these guys. They took good are of us and were fun to be with. -And the t-shirt looks great too! :D

They have this private crack in the shore which is actually a great place for any level of diving. At 25 mtrs I could see some 3 ft groupers down at 45 mtrs. I wish I could do this place with doubles & a stage, without a "baby sitter" on my back. But all they have are single tanks, and polite divemasters who show you around. I bet I confused one of the dm's a bit when I did some free diving between two tank dives, and passed him and his group at 22 mtrs on my way UP! :14:

05.jpg

KOMPRESSOR:
I bet I confused one of the dm's a bit when I did some free diving between two tank dives, and passed him and his group at 22 mtrs on my way UP! :14:

free diving between scuba dives can be dangerous (you still have extra nitrogen in your blood and free dives make you change pressure quickly) so be carefull... :no

hvulin:
free diving between scuba dives can be dangerous (you still have extra nitrogen in your blood and free dives make you change pressure quickly) so be carefull... :no

Well, yes... But I'm not REALLY all new to diving you know. So I think I know what it's about. And with a 4 hour surface interval, we're not really talking "dangerous" here, are we? -So back to topic again. :coffee:

(It's Creete... And I love the place!)

Hi Kompressor,

Thanks for the info. I checked the kalypso website and it does look great. I will keep those guys in mind when I would travel to the south coast. My current trip is to the north coast of the island, have you dived over there (the messerschmitt wreck maybe)? Do you know some 'secret' spots :wink:?

cheers,

dimitri

I'm traveling to Heraklion from 22-30 June 2007 for a conference and would like to get some diving in. I plan to bring my own gear so will only need tanks and weights. I still need to find a hotel for 65 Eu per day or less as well and would like to have internet as well if possible. So far the choice dive outfit appears to be Diver's Club Crete in Aghia Pelaghia at the Capsis Hotel. I went to see if I could get a reservation at this hotel but the costs are over 350 Eu per day. Furthermore I have emailed Diver's Club and never received a response back. The area of Aghia Pelaghia looks very nice and is still within an hour to the conference site in Heraklion so I would like to stay there if it allows me more dive opportunities. So my questions are, 1) is this a nice dive outfit to charter thru?, 2) are there other dive outfits relatively close to Heraklion that might be recommended?, 3) might someone recommend a hotel with a dive outfit that has charters and is in this region?, 4) is a drysuit recommended for June?

Thanx in advance for any help that can be provided.

GypsyDoc
I dove near Aigho Nicholos in the Eastern part of Crete and in Palichora which is in the Southwestern part so I really don't know about Hirlyon. But if you look into Rytmon which is about a half an hour to 45 minutes from Hirklyon. You'll get better diving there, also far away from a big city and a port. You will not need a dry suit at all, 5 mm westsuit is enough. Instead of a hotel look into Bed and Breafasts on the internet, shouldn't be more then 50 to 60 euro a night per person. If you have time try to take a trip to Chania and to Smaria Gorge. Crete is neat place I"ve been there twice and prepared for a third trip!! Enjoy
Rauven Schneider
Carmiel, Israel

Well I have returned from Crete and had a wonderful experience diving with Divers Club Crete which is on the beach in the village of Aghia Pelaghia. Though they were having a heat wave during my visit (24-28 June 2007) with temps hovering above 40 C, the dives were lovely with viz around 50-100' and bottom temps around 20 C. The staff was truly welcoming and quite international with instructors and DM/guides from Greece, Italy, Germany, Russia, Poland and even USA. Their boats go out at least two to three times a day and on 3 of my 5 dives it was just me and a guide!

I wonder if they will be diving when I am there in December this year~~~

Sound great GypsyDoc. Thanks for the report.

Natasha:
I wonder if they will be diving when I am there in December this year~~~
My understanding is that they are seasonal as the instructors and DMs/guides are there temporarily. Send Dimitris an email via his website as he is quite responsive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom