Crete, Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have to do this. I just started diving again two years ago after a 34 year layoff. Retired and having fun. I do most of my traveling to Mexico,, Florida and the Carribean like most folks. BUT...........

I started diving in 1969 on the island of Crete. Does anybody have any idea of what the diving is like there? I never see any ads for dive vacations there. Is there any particular reason why?

Please help. I got an urge to go see if it's as good as my feeble mind thinks it remembers.

I know Cyprus(one of the other greek islands) has really boring marine life, but has an awesome ferry sunk.

Welcome back to the water! I did some free diving on Crete at Mallia back in 1968. Haven't been back since though. I have a Greek friend who has been there more recently of course.

Although the Med won't match much of the diving you may have done elsewhere, it is probably worth going back for "sentimental" reasons. I know I want to. My understanding is that the new law markfm mentioned has opened up diving quite a bit so it may be that they are just getting geared up to welcome more of us.

Worth mentioning that Cyprus isnt actually Greece and has had much more lax diving laws for a long time. OH and the ferry is the Zenobia. Sunk by computer failiure :)

To all a hearty thankyou for replying. May I say that the restrictive laws have probably helped preserve the habitat, but surely curbed diving there. Of course, when I started diving there were no such laws in place. For me it was a mecca, driving down along the north coast and just picking a place to jump into. Of course, I had some favorite sites, but have long forgotten them. I first got certified while there in Sept. 1969, and made 156 dives within the next year (numbers stick in my head).
I was always amazed at the marine life I saw, which included octopus on a regular basis. I also remember diving in the winter time and didn't even own a wetsuit----BRRRRR. As I say, it was a long time ago and there is much that I have forgotten. All I remember for sure was that diving got into my system real bad.

Although I gave it up when I came stateside I never forgot. Now I'm at it again and just enjoying myself. I don't dive locally here in Pa. I've come to the conclusion that quarries suck; both the cold water and the viz. I travel to the Carribean about 6 times a year, usually logging about 15-20 dives in a week. Love the warm water.

The reason for my original question is that in all the magazines and on the internet there are all kinds of ads for dive vacations, but I've yet to find any for Crete. I figure there had to be a reason. I guess it was restrictive laws. Governments sure know how to mess things up, do they not?

I'm going to Crete in May. Perhaps I have something to report when we get home! :D

Anyway, I've found a dive center there. Right next to our hotel more or less, and they seem to have a nice dive boat. We're going to Chania.

http://www.blueadventuresdiving.gr/

The website doesn't work properly in Firefox, so you may have to switch to Bill Gates mode to see it.

Nice boat they have!

Kompressor,
I was in Crete in September. It is a nice boat - pity I got blown out - yep in Crete, in Chania and yep in September!

dbulmer:
Kompressor,
I was in Crete in September. It is a nice boat - pity I got blown out - yep in Crete, in Chania and yep in September!

You mean you got to drunk to dive, or were there severe wind conditions?! :D

I was blown out for 3 days in a row in greece in september too. It can happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom