Crete, Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are looking at exploiting the new Greek laws to maybe open a dive outlet in the next couple of years. I have lived in Greece for two years (in the past) and sure enough the marine life is not as good as it is in the Red Sea, but it is closer for Europeans and for those who are dived out with Cyprus.

The majority of Greek islands are blessed with good bottom sea composition, therefore the viz should be Med-good andthere should be the possibility of wrecks if the island was on a major shipping lane.

I actually think that Greece could easily rival Malta, Gozo and Cyprus as the next Med diving location.

As an aside, when Northern Cyprus joins the EU, then the Turksih part of Cyprus will be available for scubing as well. Another useful drop off point in the Med locale

I certainly think the news laws if applied properly could massively increase the attraction of greece as a diving destination. It has good weather, warm water, calm seas, fantastic visibility but currently as you said, little marine life. With far more sites now on offer this could improve but the addition of wrecks and other undersea areas could make this very attractive.

I know a few people that have dived northern cyprus and state its very good - better than the other destinations purely as its relatively untouched.

These two centers offer good dives.
www.aquacreta.gr
www.haniadive.com

Please note that a lot more sites will be added to their schedule as from 4th of February you will be able to dive anywhere you like.

Marine life cannot be compared to Red Sea but the South West part of Crete is unspoiled!

thanos_gr:
These two centers offer good dives.
www.aquacreta.gr
www.haniadive.com

Please note that a lot more sites will be added to their schedule as from 4th of February you will be able to dive anywhere you like.

Marine life cannot be compared to Red Sea but the South West part of Crete is unspoiled!

I can't really tell what these two offer except courses. I mean, 2 dives (Lead/tank) 50 Euro, what is that? Do they take you on a boat tour? Do they provide divemaster to come with you as a guide under water?

I'd be interested in two options. Either a full day out in a large boat, like they have at http://www.blueadventuresdiving.gr/, or just rent tanks and lead and go diving on our own from the shore. There's no way they should charge much for tanks and lead, but they do not specify what's included in their offers. Can you figure it out in any way for us, please?

My wife and I had a dive vacation on Crete island on 2000. Water was warm and clear but there was no fish! The ocean floor was covered by the green killer algae called "Caulerpa Taxifolia". Do a search on the google by using the name of the algae to learn more. This is a major problem in the Mediterranean ocean today - an algae designed to stay alive in saltwater aquariums escaped to the ocean and does a lot of damage at the moment.

Hi!

I have dove on the island of Cret like 2 years ago and I thought that it was pretty nice. There was some marine life like squid and lots of star fish! Plus they have wrecks like the tail of Messershmidt (probably i didnt spell it right) but its a German WWII plane. I thought it was fun! You should give it a go!

Peace

Katie

If you are looking to do Greece, then the wreck of the Zenobia is a must. The wreck is large enough to require 4-6 dives to get a full view. You will not find a lot of fish life in Greece (or that part of the Med) Caves, sunken towns and wrecks are the main diet in that area. This year the Greek authorities have deregulated diving, so there will be a lot of virgin sites that only the local diver will know.

Crete is pretty much the same, Caverns and swim through's are the main attraction. A couple of small wrecks are located on the island.

Pro Dive operates a centre on Crete and four centres in Cyprus. If you want any more information about the diving in the area, email me.

Pro Dive:
If you are looking to do Greece, then the wreck of the Zenobia is a must. The wreck is large enough to require 4-6 dives to get a full view. You will not find a lot of fish life in Greece (or that part of the Med) Caves, sunken towns and wrecks are the main diet in that area. This year the Greek authorities have deregulated diving, so there will be a lot of virgin sites that only the local diver will know.

Crete is pretty much the same, Caverns and swim through's are the main attraction. A couple of small wrecks are located on the island.

Pro Dive operates a centre on Crete and four centres in Cyprus. If you want any more information about the diving in the area, email me.

As a Dive shop owner you really should know in which country the Zenobia is in especialy as you have centers in both countries........Its in CYPRUS and NOT in Greece......(two different countries):D As to local divers knowing the "Virgin" sites sry m8 ur wrong cos not not even they could dive them before........ Legally! The ones that did were illegal spearfishers that were only interested in catching fish and nothing else!! I have dived most of the south coast of Crete and much of the north. That is why i will be opening up on the South Coast!! It really is worth a vist make sure though that you go with a LDS that knows the area......!!

and that knows the difference in the countries!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom