Cressi-Sub Space Frog Fins for beginer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed66

Contributor
Reaction score
I am new to diving and I am getting ready to sign up for the class, my question is I got a new pair of the cressi-sub space frong fins from leisure pro I was planning on using them for the open water class but the lds were I am taking the class said he thinks they are too much(ie. to stiff for me)and will cause cramps. He is a cressi dealer and said he suggested that I get his reg model cressi fins that he sells. So should I send back the frogs and get his? I feel a little bad I got all my stuff( wetsuit,mask,fin's) from LP for $225-$250 cheaper than any lds in my area and it's the exact same stuff. So should I send the cressi's back and buy his cressi's (standard model with a lot of flex) or just go with mine and eat banana's and hope for no cramps. Thanks Ed
PS I did get his boots and snorkel (still over lp's price) but I felt gulity

I think you'll be fine with the Space Frogs. The guy just wants you to buy some stuff from his shop.

listen Space frogs have a long foot pocket (in the bottom), That was made specifically for people who cramp (like me). yes they are a bit stiff but I think thats a good thing. And you always have the option to buy new ones while in class if for some reason you decide you dont like em right.

I bought my Spacefrogs right after my OW class because I hated the fins I had and I was cramping with them. Since I got them I have had very limited cramping and I just love the fins!

Rachel

Now that you have them you might as well try them but...

As an instructor and shop owner here is what I see. Some one comes in to do a class. They already got their mask and fins from LP or walmart or some place. We get in the water and the mask doesn't fir. It leaks and they can't dive in it. Then they want me to fix it. You know loan them some thing or stop the class and inconvenience everyone else and spend more of my money to fix some other retailors problem. I even had a guy order his syiff online. He didn't have it when class started. He ran all over town bad mouthing me because I wouldn't lend him stuff for free. LOL

The thing is this, if I sell it to you it's my problem and I'll fix it. However I at least have the chance to try to get it right the first time.

All that being said, I usually can't match online prices.

I bought the Space Frog around 3 years ago... before that I had some other kind of fins and I have just realized that with my previous fins, I used to get A LOT OF CRAMPS...

With the Space Frog, I dont remember having cramps... I guess they are really good. Maybe my legs just got stronger??!?

I bought my Wife's Cressi Space Frogs from our lds, i bought all of mine on line( cressi rodine 1's).
My wifes fin cracked right in the middle the 1st time in the pool our lds was with us and they will "TRY" and get it replaced. My stuff is going strong. SO what I learned is do what ever make you feel compfortble, dont be pressured from an lds. hope this helps

I am new to diving and I am getting ready to sign up for the class, my question is I got a new pair of the cressi-sub space frong fins from leisure pro I was planning on using them for the open water class but the lds were I am taking the class said he thinks they are too much(ie. to stiff for me)and will cause cramps. He is a cressi dealer and said he suggested that I get his reg model cressi fins that he sells. So should I send back the frogs and get his? I feel a little bad I got all my stuff( wetsuit,mask,fin's) from LP for $225-$250 cheaper than any lds in my area and it's the exact same stuff. So should I send the cressi's back and buy his cressi's (standard model with a lot of flex) or just go with mine and eat banana's and hope for no cramps. Thanks Ed
PS I did get his boots and snorkel (still over lp's price) but I felt gulity

I think that we as new students feel pressured to buy something different because we don't know if what we are being told is accurate or if the shop owner is trying to make money off the unknowing "newbie". That being said, I am seeing online sales killing our favorite small shops. Personally, I want to have my shop around for later. So, I am honest with my shop owner. I want to have good gear, that fits me and works for me. I want you to make money, but what I feel is fair. If I can buy a set of fins that I really love online for 50 dollars less, I can split the difference to keep you in business, but I don't think gouging people new to the sport is the way to go. That being said, I do support the arguement that if you buy gear online, and then bring it to class with you, and it doesn't fit correctly, expecting the instructor to then loan you something for free is absurd. You are taking a chance, and for this sport that's never a good plan (you are playing with your life). Not to mention you aren't helping the shop that fits you for your gear or helps train you for your sport. I just feel there should be a balance.
That being said, I would try doing some laps in the pool with the fins. If you aren't having issues with them there, you are likely to be ok with them in open water.

Back
Top Bottom