Cressi Newton Titanium OR the Mares Smart Wrist Dive Comp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottsfire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been doing A LOT of reserach on wrist style dive computers, read a lot of the forums, visited manufacture sites and looked at the specs but before I pulled the trigger on one of these bad boys I wanted to get some feedback etc from those that are in the "know".

Good, bad or ugly on either of these.

Gracias,
Scotty V.

So are these two watches that unknown or unpopular that no one has ANY feedback for me to go on? I'm open to suggestions!
Thanks,
Scott

I have not used these, but they both look pretty much the same. You should try them to figure out which one you subjectively like better. Cressi has visual and auditory alarms. Mares does not indicate these in the description. Some dislike these, but for me alarms are a boon. Some have said here, RGBM Mares-Wienke algorithm is not the best choice, especially for deep dives. Sometimes you may want to have the same algorithm for all members of a team. Buhlman algorithm probably is more common, especially among technical divers. Perhaps you should ask around about the quality of customer support of these manufacturers and which representatives are easier to reach from your place.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback. The algorithms I had not even considered but I will now. I appeciate you taking the time to provide these new things to consider.

:) Scott

A quick look at algorithms you'll find on the bottom of this page. I dive Mares - Wienke computer myself and it has served me well. Some agencies recommend same allgorithm for all divers in teams, which dive caves or penetrate wrecks. If you have a constant buddy, it is a good idea to have same models for both of you, as different brands and models can give you somewhat different no deco times or deco schedules. You can find threads about it on Scuba Board.

Hi @Scottsfire

Both Cressi and Mares use their own, relatively conservative, version of an RGBM decompression algorithm. There are many deco algorithms available that give significantly different results for 1st dive and repetitive dive NDLS. I would suggest learning a little more about the algorithms before you plop down your money for your 1st dive computer. Many divers are similar to you and don't know much about this aspect of dive computers. The attached lists many brands of computer and the deco algorithms they use as well as giving some repetitive dive results from simulated dives in a hyperbaric chamber http://ads.bonniercorp.com/scuba/PDF/ScubaLab-Computer-Test-September-2014-data.pdf

Best of luck on your computer purchase,

Craig

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm glad you guys turned me on to this research.....ya got me researching even deeper now and your right it does make a difference in computer selection. Ironically, I'm not finding a lot of Cressi Newton Titaniums popping up in much of my research but Mares Smart seems to always be there. Thanks again for helping a thirsty newby educate himself on the new passion of diving. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom