Creeping BKUP Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just switched to long hose set up (I'll be getting some mentor training next week on it) and had one issue on last nights dive. The backup reg on the bungeed (actually, surgical tube) necklace kept creeping toward my right shoulder. I kept sliding the reg back into place at the center of my chest, but it would always end up sliding back onto my right shoulder.
Thoughts?

Rick,
I don't know if you're going the strict DIR route or not, but I bungied my AAS and used the standard l/p hose, but I routed it beneath my right arm like the primary. Stays out of the way and doesn't create a loop over your right shoulder.

The Kracken:
Rick,
I don't know if you're going the strict DIR route or not, but I bungied my AAS and used the standard l/p hose, but I routed it beneath my right arm like the primary. Stays out of the way and doesn't create a loop over your right shoulder.
I could go back to that, but I bought the hoses as a set. :11: I hate wasting 25.00 worth of hose, and others are doing it successfully, so...

I can see how the really short AAS hose could pull the reg off to the right side very easily.

The Kracken:
I can see how the really short AAS hose could pull the reg off to the right side very easily.
Obviously I have no clue what I'm doing. I lengthened the necklace for last nights dive and the AAS kept floating up in front of my mask. Too long, now. Good thing I'll be getting some expert advice in person soon.

The bungie should be just big enough for you to expand it a bit and get it over your head with your hood on.

That's one reason I like running the l/p hose for the AAS under my right arm, it keeps it nicely in place and doesn't create that loop up there by the right side of the head.

Rick Inman:
I just switched to long hose set up (I'll be getting some mentor training next week on it) and had one issue on last nights dive. The backup reg on the bungeed (actually, surgical tube) necklace kept creeping toward my right shoulder. I kept sliding the reg back into place at the center of my chest, but it would always end up sliding back onto my right shoulder.
Thoughts?

Are you running 1 1st stage on a single valve, an H-valve with two singles or doubles? The "angle" of the hose as it leaves the first stage can effect the position of the backup 2nd. Also, make certain the hose for the backup second is OVER the primary. If the primary is laying on the backup it will pull it back.

Green_Manelishi:
Are you running 1 1st stage on a single valve, an H-valve with two singles or doubles? The "angle" of the hose as it leaves the first stage can effect the position of the backup 2nd. Also, make certain the hose for the backup second is OVER the primary. If the primary is laying on the backup it will pull it back.
Yes, single valve, single tank. If you were to look down over the 1st stage of my M1, with the tank at 12 o'clock and the BP at 6:00, the primary hose is at 7:00 and the backup hose is at 8:00.
And, ah ha! I had the primary UNDER the AAS. Well, looks like I need to go right out and make another dive. :D

Rick Inman:
Well, looks like I need to go right out and make another dive. :D

Gee, that's too bad :eyebrow:

One more item to mention re: the orientation of the hose to the wing. If you fully inflate the wing at the surface it might push on the hose and move the second stage.

The Kracken:
The bungie should be just big enough for you to expand it a bit and get it over your head with your hood on.

That's one reason I like running the l/p hose for the AAS under my right arm, it keeps it nicely in place and doesn't create that loop up there by the right side of the head.

HOOD ! What's a hood? Oh yea, I'm diving 86 degree water year round...hehehe

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom