Credit where credit is due

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a problem with people being somewhat competitive. I have a problem with it leading either to unethical or unpleasant behavior by one group, seeking to block another, or when one group can't acknowledge the accomplishments of another, because they didn't get there first.

I know some of the unethical behavior you're referencing and I don't like it. Its the main reason I made a decision a couple years ago to never attempt to start any sort of club again, and to never again join or participate in any sort of club or clique based on anything other than mutual respect.

Why do you feel the need to be acknowledged by another club?

I totally agree that credit should be given where it's due. However, from what I have see and experienced thus far in the diving industry is that generally nobody "gives" anything and will dis other divers/agencies/shops/instructor/products/procedures/styles ..... and the list goes on.

Here's the thing. I am not a competitive diver. Many have been deeper, longer, further into a cave or what ever. Respect to them, but really I just want to have fun and be safe.

Sometimes someone does something spectacular, but all the "achievements" in my range of competencies have been had. Therefore, yes I'd always respect the few who extend the boundaries of our sport, but really can't see why I'd let it get political or nasty. Just enjoy it as much as I did the superlative achievements of many at the Olympics.

If credit is due...it should be given...regardless.
Refusing credit or acknowledgement of an accomplishment is not competitive, it's childish. Competition means you have a "worthy opponent", not giving credit is therefore not competition, it's elitism!
I deplore cliches...

Frankly I dive for fun, not recognition so it really makes no never mind to me. I find the politics of diving quite boring.

I don't feel the need to be acknowledged by anybody; I have never done anything in diving that was worth acknowledging, except being part of a buddy pair that put a few feet of new line into a cave on our last trip to Mexico. And that was a pretty small accomplishment.

I just wish people would focus on the impressive or exciting stuff that other folks have been able to do, and not get nit-picky about exactly how they do it, as long as it isn't grossly unsafe. I may not choose to dive a rebreather, for example, but that doesn't mean it's reprehensible that other people do.

i think it's cool despite the politics. and as you can imagine there are some politics round these parts. even when the hardened, card-carrying strokes like mat bull explore cave I think it's awesome :wink:

LOL, I just saw this! :D I almost never log into SB anymore.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom